We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
open source starter? (Read 2430 times)
open source starter?
Jun 26th, 2005, 5:44am

Im not sure if this is the right place to post this, but could someone explain how someone would go about compiling (right word?) processing? i already have all the source files from the cvs repository, but i have no idea what to do with them.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but thanks in advance if you help.
Re: open source starter?
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2005, 8:19am

inside the "build" folder there's a file called "howto.txt" which should help get you started, but post if you run into trouble.
Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2005, 10:59pm

ok, after trying it, cygwin doesn't seem to like me, (it says none of the packages that I installed are installed Sad ). Is there any alternatives to cygwin? or a place to download a pre-configured version of cygwin? I'm sorry, ive used windows all my life so i dont know much about linux, or even OSS.
Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2005, 3:54pm

once you have cygwin installed, you need to run the "cygwin bash shell" and use that as your prompt instead of the regular dos prompt in order to get things to work.

the other things are probably installed, but unless you add c:\cygwin\bin (or wherever you installed it) to your PATH environment variable (control panels -> system properties -> advanced -> environment variables) they won't work from a dos prompt (although processing won't build from a dos prompt, you have to use cygwin).
Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2005, 6:10pm

i have been trying to use cygwin, not the dos prompt, and when i opened up c:\cygwin\bin\ there were all the commands i supposedly installed, but from the bash prompt, i cant run anyof them, im using the included .bat file to run cygwin, and it looks like this
Code:

@echo off

C:
chdir C:\cygwin\bin

bash --login -i

somehow my p5 source got deleted, so im re-downloading that right now, and i cant try anything right away, once the source in downloaded, ill try the howto.txt file again and if it doesn't work give you the error that it spits out

and by the way, thanks for helping fry
Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2005, 6:50pm

ok, im not sure whether i should have edited my post or made this one, but anyways...

I got p5 to build, but now when i try to use run.sh it gives me this error
Code:

bash-2.05b$ ./run.sh
: not found
./run.sh: 7: Syntax error: "else" unexpected (expecting "then")

any ideas? ive never worked with .sh files before so i dont know.

oh and to fix the build probleem i opened up the .bat used to run cygwin and added PATH C:\cygwin\bin

EDIT: ok scratch that, if i go to C:\cygwin\home\Mikey\p5\processing\build\windows\work nad run processing.exe, it works just fine.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1