We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Reaktor to Processing via OSC
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Reaktor to Processing via OSC (Read 4600 times)
Reaktor to Processing via OSC
May 29th, 2005, 2:23pm

I can't get any OSC messages to show up. I think this might possible. All I can get is a ping message when I press the scan button in the Reaktor OSC window. OSC works sending to Reaktor on another computer but not Processing on the same computer. I've tried running Processing with OSC on my other (Windows) computer but the receive part crashed because of a null sting I think so can't test with that, no problem like that on my local computer (Mac).
Listening on port 10000. I'm just sending messages from a toggle button to test at this stage. If anyone has successfully tried this could they please help with settings?

Thanks
Re: Reaktor to Processing via OSC
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2005, 4:50am

take a look to this doc: http://www.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OpenSoundControl/OSC-spec.html
 maybe your problem is the OSC syntax. Check the reaktor's type of messages sent, make sure that these messagges are the same in oscP5.

I really hope this works for you!!!!

cheers

G
Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2005, 11:19am

i have the same problem, and i think the problem is not the syntax. I've succesfully sent osc data from max to processing, and from max to reaktor, but am not able to send from reaktor to anywhere else...

... did you manage to do it, honkfink? Anyone else?

Thanx a lot
Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2005, 7:26pm

Not adding an help, but I just want to say  that soon I'll be needing to get OSC messages from P5 to reaktor. Any tips on that ?
Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2005, 9:18am

i finally managed to do it but i'm not sure about what the problem was. just kept on trying different combinations until it worked.

but basically, what i have is reaktor sending to 127.0.0.1 and port 10001 (i'm using the same computer for both p5 and reaktor)  and processing receiving in same host, same port, with sojamo's osc code just as provided in the library examples.

to send from p5 to reaktor you'll have to specify the sendToPort in processing with the local port of reaktor (mine is the default 10000).

hope it helps.
Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2005, 8:43am

Tried P5 > Reaktor too. It worked, the only problem is that reaktor crashes when I actually try to bind the OSC received value to some parameter Sad

Does it work for you ?

btw, here's my test code. It sends to reaktor the coordinates of the mouse click, [0..1] because that's how reaktor likes them.

Code:

import osc.*;
import oscP5.*;
OscP5 oscP5;
int receiveAtPort;
int sendToPort;
String host;
String oscP5event;

void initOsc() {
receiveAtPort = 3333;
sendToPort = 10000;
host = "127.0.0.1";
oscP5event = "oscEvent";

oscP5 = new OscP5(this, host, sendToPort, receiveAtPort, oscP5event );
}

void oscEvent(OscIn oscIn) {
println("received a message ... weeeee !!");
}

void setup() {
size(300, 300);
noStroke();
initOsc();
}

void draw(){
}

void mousePressed(){
simpleOscMessage();
}

void mouseDragged() {
simpleOscMessage();
}

void simpleOscMessage() {

// create a new osc message with
// the address pattern /test
OscMessage oscMsg = oscP5.newMsg("/test");

// add a string to the osc message
oscMsg.add("abcdefg");

// ADAUG LA MESAJ CIFRA PE CARE AM APASAT-O
float x = float(mouseX)/300;
float y = float(mouseY)/300;
oscMsg.add( x );
oscMsg.add( y );

// send the osc message
// via the oscP5 bundle
oscP5.sendMsg(oscMsg);

println("sent > "+x+" / "+y);

}

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2005, 12:54am

In case someone gets into this thread at a later date, I solved the problem. It was from the fact that I was sending data as osc bundles, and although reaktor supports bundles, it seems it doesn't like P5 bundles, or something along these lines. Right now I'm sending each one as an individual OSC message, just as well.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1