We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Serial problems (RXTX mismatch) Mac 0090
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Serial problems (RXTX mismatch) Mac 0090 (Read 1929 times)
Serial problems (RXTX mismatch) Mac 0090
May 18th, 2005, 12:24pm

I'm having problems using the serial library in Processing 0090 on the Mac (0S X 10.3.9).  When I try to play my applet (code below), I get the following error:

WARNING:  RXTX Version mismatch
Jar version = RXTX-2.0-4
native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7pre17

java.lang.ClassCastException thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver
java.lang.ClassCastException thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Native Library /Applications/processing-0090/libraries/serial/library/librxtxSerial.jnilib already loaded in another classloader

Any idea what might cause this?

I do have some old version of Processing on my machine (0068, 0085, 0089), but I can't seem to find any versions of RXTXSerial.jar in my /System/... or in my sketchbook.  Any ideas where I should be looking?  How does one determine the version of a jar or jnilib?

I also noticed that /Applica
tions/processing-0090/libraries/serial/library/RXTXcomm.jar appears twice in the command line for the playing of the sketch.  Could that be a problem?

The applet source is:

import processing.serial.*;

void setup()
{
 println(Serial.list());
}
Re: Serial problems (RXTX mismatch) Mac 0090
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2005, 6:19pm

I figured out the problem.  I did have an old version of RXTX installed on my machine and didn't know it.

Some places to look:

/Library/Java/Extensions
/System/Library/Java/Extensions
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Home/lib/ext

The file may may RXTXcomm.jar or simply comm.jar.  libSerial.jnilib, jcl.jar, and javax.comm.properties may also cause problems.
Re: Serial problems (RXTX mismatch) Mac 0090
Reply #2 - May 18th, 2005, 8:35pm

k, added a note about this to the faq.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1