We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsSoftware Bugs › saving a file does not work
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
saving a file does not work (Read 968 times)
saving a file does not work
May 17th, 2005, 1:34am

hi,

a short report on what I encountered when upgrading from 0.85 to 0.90.

in my version i cannot save files at all. Testcase was an attempt to copy/paste an older sketchcode into a new sketch to get it running in the new version after some tweaking.

When I copy the code in the new file and save it as "whatever", i get a new empty file called "whatever". All the copied code is gone. When I want to open "whatever" later, the (empty) file is gone.
Re: saving a file does not work
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2005, 2:01am

funny:

the saving-function works on files, which I move to the "myDocuments/processing"-Folder in the explorer.

But whenever I create a new file in processing, paste some code into it and save it, all the code is gone and the file will be vanished after reopening processing.
Reply #2 - May 17th, 2005, 4:40am

are you getting any sort of errors when this happens? (red text on the console?)

are you moving the sketch file or folder in explorer while processing is still running?

has anyone else run across something like this?
Reply #3 - May 17th, 2005, 9:31am

i just tested it again:

same behavior as last night (I was not hallucinating;-) )

the code magically disappears. no error-message.

But i found out that the disappearing of the file is because I had deleting of empty files checked in the preferences.

O.k now I have the file, when I reopen Processing, but it is still empty. Sad Code disappears.

regarding the moving of files: yes I did it while processing is running. But as I stated: This way seems to work fine. So here can't be the problem, I guess.
Reply #4 - May 17th, 2005, 4:12pm

you cannot move the files or folders while your program is running, otherwise you'll get very bizarre results. this is going to happen with any program, not just processing.

there was no red text printed to the console? did you properly save the sketch before quitting processing?
Reply #5 - May 17th, 2005, 10:45pm

i think there is a misunderstanding somewhere.

Let's forget about moving folders. I just did thid with an older sketch from another drectory to the processing directory. This sketch works fine.

To document the other case I produced a little video. Watch it and you may get an idea of what I am talking about.

http://www.rabendesign.de/stuff/saveBug.avi
Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2005, 4:49am

i think this has been fixed since rev 90 along with the other save bugs, so closing thread.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1