We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
filter() in PGraphicsGL (Read 2751 times)
filter() in PGraphicsGL
May 9th, 2005, 12:50pm

Just an idea for the filter() function in the OpenGL library.  Would it be possible to change the way the OpenGL library handles the filter method in order to use more gl functions which may increase performance (not sure about this).  For example using:
glConvolutionFilter2D()+glPixelTransferf()+glCopyPixels()

instead of:

filter() (processing.core method)

can't wait to have some time and try out all these ideas so that I bugYouLess!
Re: filter() in PGraphicsGL
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2005, 3:25pm

it would likely work, just haven't had the time to do it. in general, i've been trying just to get things to work properly first before i deal with optimizing them. since there are still so many basic things broken (set() with images in opengl, some of the updatePixels() stuff with gl), there's no sense in me optimizing the filters.
Reply #2 - May 9th, 2005, 5:17pm

very understandable!

a little question about the loadPixels() and updatePixels() methods: are they supposed to stay in the API, or will they be removed if we find out a way to avoid the need of them in JAVA2D and OPENGL?
Reply #3 - May 9th, 2005, 5:40pm

they'll remain because there's no way to get around them. and they should be used whenever you mess with pixels (even if they don't seem "needed" in some cases), just to get yourself used to it.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1