We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentLibraries,  Tool Development › New JavaSound-based library
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
New JavaSound-based library (Read 2494 times)
New JavaSound-based library
May 9th, 2005, 12:42pm

Called Ess. Please have a look if you want to use sound in your applets (Java 1.3 or better). Lots of methods that do all kinds of fun stuff!

http://www.tree-axis.com/Ess
Re: New JavaSound-based library
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2005, 12:54pm

Hi Krister

This looks great. It is really cool to use sound in Processing without Jsynth.

Could you please include the docs into the download file, I would also be interested in the source.

Do you have any more plans with that library sequencing would be really cool. I am looking on that in the moment to build interactiv music peaces.

tex
Reply #2 - May 9th, 2005, 2:33pm

hi krister,

nice thing! i was playing with javasound a while back and so was hoping for someone to come up with a lib. thanks a lot!

F
Reply #3 - May 9th, 2005, 4:17pm

Hi!

Thanks a thousand for the lib.  I was currently planning in doig a Java plugin in the same way as Jsynth but based in GPL'd SuperCollider.

But seeing what you did (no need of plugin) I think I'll drop the idea and focus on the other lib idea I had.

I would also be interested in the sourcecode, if you do release it, let us know.

I'll try to have a closer look at the API and comment if any.

again,
thanks
Reply #4 - May 9th, 2005, 4:36pm

Finally!
I will use this for my project and mess you up with questions.. Smiley

Thanks!
Reply #5 - May 9th, 2005, 8:09pm

Thanks guys. I will release the source in the future, once it has been banged on a bit (and cleaned up). It's several thousand lines. JavaSound is crap so I had to write everything from scratch (or use open source/WOL code for a couple of higher-level effects). Even basic things like volume and pan control.

I'll include the docs in the next release.

Feel free to offer suggestions. E-mail is good too.

I am currently working on real-time synthesis and effects, and also microphone/line input. Sequencing is a lower priority, but it may become integral to a project I'm working on so it may get bumped up the priority list.
Reply #6 - May 9th, 2005, 9:25pm

Just updated the site with a link to download all the docs in one handy .zip for offline perusal.
Reply #7 - May 11th, 2005, 12:47am

This is really great - thanks for making it Smiley

Line input would be lovely though.  

Let me know if toxi and I can help since we're meeting up on Thursday to discuss sound-reactive type ideas.
Reply #8 - May 11th, 2005, 4:20am

Thanks Tom. (And thank Toxi for making his FFT code publicly available--it worked much better than the code I had initially written.)

I want to work some of the kinks out (there have been some reports of latency issues on some PCs) and tighten things up a bit, then I'd be happy to release the code or CVS it.

Streaming (for mp3s and generative sound) is coming, as is mic/line input. I'd be happy to hear your thoughts as I'm working out the API at the moment.
Reply #9 - May 19th, 2005, 12:11am

I've been having a play at using this library for sounds in the game I'm writing, and it's doing a pretty good job.

The only latency issues I've found are if you try to play() a Channel, if it's already playing, it seems to take 1/2 a second or so for it to "rewind" and seesm to pause the applet whilst it's doing it. Thankfully I can work aroudn htis by having arrays of the same sample, and playing whichever one isn't still playing at the moment.

I'm also having problems loading MP3s via myChannel.loadSound(), it's just giving me "Unable to load sound music.mp3" on the text output, similarly to if I try to load a .wav file it doesn't like. Does the mp3 have to be a specific bitrate or anything do you know?
Reply #10 - May 19th, 2005, 7:06pm

Yes, this is something that I've just about squashed--a weird JavaSound quirk. It seems to only affect PCs (you are on a PC, right?). I should have a fix up by early next week.

For MP3s, did you install the libraries correctly (as per on the home page)?
Reply #11 - Jan 22nd, 2007, 1:16am

Sorry for the necro:

I am using processing's core.jar in eclipse to make my stuff, and therefore I am confused as to exactly what I need to import to make mp3's load correclty.

unfortunately, .wav's dont load either.

Have you nailed down the specifics of what kind of audio can be loaded?
Reply #12 - Jan 22nd, 2007, 4:01am

I have the same problem with johnG. When repeatedly playing an mp3 I get cracks and dropouts as the sound is trying to reload..
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1