We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › tabs confusion, external editors, etc
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
tabs confusion, external editors, etc (Read 3131 times)
tabs confusion, external editors, etc
May 5th, 2005, 7:00pm

Processing supports tabs, which is cool. But when I first used them I tried to open multiple documents in one instance of processing, which doesn't seem to work. It would be cool if this would work in future.

What also confuses me is the "Use external Editor" option. You are just unable to edit the file in processing, if you use another editor to edit the file it's not updated in processing..

Now to question: If I understand correctly, processing is just a Java library, so it must be possible to write and compile/execute them without using the processing gui, but how? I'm not a Java programmer, so it would be cool if somebody could explain it here..
Re: tabs confusion, external editors, etc
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2005, 1:04am

please post these in their appropriate forums, as separate items.. #1 goes in suggestions, for #2, if using an external editor is broken, then post it in bugs (or in suggestions if you want it to work some other way), and #3 is discussed on the 'integration' board.

(edit.. i don't like to be nitpicky, it's just that we use the forums to keep track of things like bug fixes, suggestions, etc)
Reply #2 - May 6th, 2005, 11:38am

jc-denton wrote on May 5th, 2005, 7:00pm:
What also confuses me is the "Use external Editor" option. You are just unable to edit the file in processing, if you use another editor to edit the file it's not updated in processing..

The update happens when you run your code (pressing the play button) - it doesn't happen in real time - I presume that all it does is reload the files before it runs.
Reply #3 - May 8th, 2005, 12:48pm

ok i'll take more care about the forum structure next time.. thx4 responding Smiley
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1