We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › mem usage and app performance
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
mem usage and app performance (Read 1554 times)
mem usage and app performance
Apr 30th, 2005, 2:17pm

I haven't tried using images in Processing yet, but there are a few posts here about images taking up a lot of memory.  TomC said that as a general rule an image takes up width*height*4 bytes in memory, and I'm assuming that when you put the app online all the images are downloaded with the app.  How does that increase in memory change load times?  If you were to load an image set in setup(), it would be loaded into memory during the little java loading screen right?  So the loading time would increase by how much when you add your image set in?  I'm mostly asking out of curiosity, but I have run into a few apps online that take forever to get through that java load screen.  Wondering if this might be part of it?
Re: mem usage and app performance
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2005, 7:08pm

the java coffee cup loading screen is the amount of time it takes for java to start up, and to just download the .jar file that's used for the applet.

when images are loaded in setup, that's happening only after the coffee cup has gone away. meaning the coffee cup is gone by the time that setup() runs.

there may be a problem in beta with the image loading that still makes it slow (see threads on the old board) but i haven't had a chance to look into it.

Re: mem usage and app performance
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2005, 9:14pm

ok, thanks for the info
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1