We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
hardware (Read 1394 times)
hardware
May 3rd, 2005, 12:28pm

Hi,

I've just got a quick q about the best hardware to use for a dedicated P5 box being used in an exhibition...

Mainly about the processor:

AMD or Intel?

and would Dual processors work better?

And under which platform does P5 work best? Windows or Linux?

My app will be using the Open GL renderer, and include plenty of frame by frame calculations (video+sound processing on top of a virtual life sim)

Cheers,
Guy

Re: hardware
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2005, 6:42pm

- i personally might go AMD because in my experience they've had better math/fpu, which is used heavily if java/p5/graphics work

- dual won't give you much unless you use your own threads to handle operations and then sync those back with the main (built-in) animation thread

- linux might be fine but windows has been tested far more thoroughly. ideally this is somewhere that linux will be used a lot in the future--being able to do installations on cheap linux hardware. if you go this route please report back on how it went.

- same issue for gl, i'm guessing that the jogl team has spent the most time debugging on windows so it might be the most stable, but that's just a guess.

some previous discussion from the old board:
http://processing.org/discourse/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=1109429964;start=2
Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2005, 6:56pm

cheers for the reply.

Think we're going for a single AMD64+
and a decent (£100) open GL card.

thanks again.
Reply #3 - May 4th, 2005, 3:22pm

Another point re: hardware,

Has anyone had an issues running an AMD 64 chip with Windows XP Pro 64bit edtion?

Guy
Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2006, 7:45am

I'm running 114 on an AMD64 with Debian, if you want to buy a graphic card, you'll have to take care it's supported to get the benefits of the acceleration.

Works just fine.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1