We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentLibraries,  Tool Development › Allan W. Martin is the nicest guy in the world
Pages: 1 2 
Allan W. Martin is the nicest guy in the world (Read 6920 times)
Allan W. Martin is the nicest guy in the world
Apr 28th, 2005, 1:07pm

Yes, that's true!

By the way, in a COMPLETELY unrelated question, hey Allan, what about the nice Illustrator library for P5 Beta?
Re: Allan W. Martin is the nicest guy in the world
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2005, 7:43pm

My friend, Kotaro, just rewrote the AIExport library for BETA 85.
I haven't yet tested this. But, it might be a good way for those who want to export to an illustrator file for now.

http://processing.dotimpac.to/index.php?plugin=attach&openfile=AIExportFor0085Beta.zip&refer=library%2FAIExportFor0085Beta
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2005, 4:03am

hey, I haven't tested it yet either, but I can assure you that Kotaro will share the placement with Allan at the nicest guy in the world podium Smiley
Reply #3 - May 29th, 2005, 11:55pm

I've used the new library and it seems okay for the time being. I've sent Mr Martin an email requesting he include it on the same page as the Alpha file (I've pestered him before regarding a bug I found in one of the earlier versions of AIExport). It would be nice for the new AIExport to be properly included with the new Beta libraries.

Big thanks to Kotaro - you've made my upcoming exhibit easier with some Illustrator files of my piece's behaviour. Cheesy
Reply #4 - May 30th, 2005, 9:54pm

I've heard rumors (okay, not rumors) that some humans are writing an SVG importer for processing.

I've been working on one myself, but mine is crappy and really custom-tailored to my project.

For those who don't know, SVG is adobe's scalar vector graphics format. You can save as svg from illustrator your vector images into super tiny xml sheets and have that be read and drawn from processing in a super sexy way.
Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2005, 5:40pm

i just want to share some experience with the aiExport library: i use the library for processing 0068. This is the latest Version that is supported by the original aiExport library. I have tested the aiExport for 0085, but it won't run on my machine...

i often have problems to open the AI_output.ai files. Illustrator CS don't even think about to open this Files. Illustrator 8.0 does it, but not always...

Sometimes i get an error message like: Can't open illustration. The illustration contains an illegal operand.
... and then there are following some numbers.

i fixed the problem by transforming the whole drawing some pixels away from the zero, zero point. Then Illustrator 8.0 does his job, after that, i saved the illustration and now i can open it in CS.

I don't know why, but with this little transformation it works. Maybe this is useful for you, i spend 2 days to figure it out.

update aiexport FAQ for P5 beta
Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2005, 6:46pm

A request for awmartin, kotaro, or anyone else who has insight into this issue:

It would be great to have an updated explanation of how to use the aiexport library for P5_beta, it isn't clear which of the original alpha methods still apply.  

I also have read that there may be a pdf export library in development, any ideas when that will be ready?

Thanks in advance...
Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2005, 7:35am

by the way...

is there any documentation available for the new aiexport?
is the source code open?

I'm asking because I'm not being able to assign a file name to the saved ai...

if I use
ai.setFileName("stringhere.ai")

it returns

Semantic Error: The method "void setFileName(java.lang.String $1);" in type "processing.AIExport.AIExport" has default access and is not accessible here.

any ideas?
Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2005, 12:27pm

Did anyone resolve Lunetta's issue, as I've got the same trouble using AIExport beta in 91?

default access error!
Reply #9 - Aug 10th, 2005, 12:44pm

http://processing.dotimpac.to/index.php?cmd=read&page=text%2F2005%2FProcessingRendering%2FAIExport&word=aiexport

I dredged this up from the Japanese Web site, doesn't give any details for setting file name etc. Perhaps it's only a basic implementation?

Will get a Japanese pal to translate it for me

It does mean that when you use the dumpSnapShots you get an AI file in your sketch folder, but I need progressive shots in sequence... any takers?
Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2005, 2:03pm

Not getting the ai.ai_stroke(x) exported using beta AIExport.

Does it take individual stroke colours and weights, or are they global?
Reply #11 - Aug 22nd, 2005, 2:40am

yep, I could not solve the aiexport problem; I have even decompiled the library to see if I could find how to solve it, but I'm not smart enough...
Reply #12 - Aug 22nd, 2005, 10:24am

I've had a quick glance at the source and will hopefully get a
chance to have a go at converting it over to Beta.

I need to implement a few new methods to take care of certain kinds of drawing, and look at the choking up that occurs with accumulative snapshots.

This is of course in an ideal world, as in this one I too worry about whether I'm smart enough. Smiley
Reply #13 - Aug 22nd, 2005, 3:03pm

SetFileName issue is resolved.
strokeWeight and transparency resolved.
Reply #14 - Oct 6th, 2005, 11:05am

ai.ai_text can't seem to take input with the signature ai.ai_text(data, x, y, z).  Also the data is limited to type String, quite limited compared to the native processing function text() described here:

http://processing.org/reference/text_.html

also ai.ai_curve does not exist.

is the sourcecode available somewhere, possibly I can dig into it and fix some of these stuff?
Pages: 1 2