We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › BX24 Serial Problem (Help!)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
BX24 Serial Problem (Help!) (Read 1126 times)
BX24 Serial Problem (Help!)
Apr 27th, 2005, 2:17am

Hi,

I feel certain that I'm doing something stupidly wrong, but I'm new to this and it's driving me crazy:

I am using a BasicX 24 Dev Kit and am trying to use it as an input for processing. I have read the scant references for the serial library and have tried the serial analog input example to no avail. In the BasicX monitor that comes with the kit, I can happily see debug.print info coming in on the monitor port (COM1), but processing sees nothing.

The line "Make sure to have the correct port selected in the 'sketch' menu" that's in the analog example mystifies me, since I don't seem to have any option to define a serial port in my Sketch menu.

In any case, when I print a serial.list(), it lists only COM2, which is not the default and is not the port that the BX data is on.

Has anyone any advice, examples or general help, please? I'm very unhappy.
Re: BX24 Serial Problem (Help!)
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2005, 3:07am

We've greatly improved the reference for Serial since the release last week. Please check the improved reference online:
http://processing.org/reference/libraries/serial/index.html

I think it's possible that your BasicX monitor software is occupying COM1 and Processing can't get access to it. Try shutting down this software, restarting Processing and trying serial.list() again.

The line about "Make sure to have the correct port selected in the 'sketch' menu" is from pre-beta releases. I've just removed it and will be fixed with the next release.
Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2005, 2:34am

also, if you println Serial.list() after processing has already connected, the port that processing has connected to will not show (it's no longer available).
Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2005, 3:20am

it's an issue with the rxtx library, apparently it'll only enumerate the ports that are currently available (which seems reasonable, but...) i'll make a note in the faq about it.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1