We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsSoftware Bugs › Present mode malfunction
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Present mode malfunction (Read 1863 times)
Present mode malfunction
Apr 25th, 2005, 12:21am

Mac OS X Jaguar, 10.2.8.
Processing rev 0085 using Jikes from 0069.

When entering Present mode (using any sketch, even empty), the whole screen turns white (including menu bar area) and black dots (or dashes) appear to flicker at random locations on the screen.

Using examples/image/displaying as a test, the image will occassionally flicker on and off at the top left of the screen.

After about ten seconds of flickering, activity stops and the screen stays blank white.

This only happens in Present mode - otherwise sketches display normally (as far as I know).
Re: Present mode malfunction
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2005, 12:49am

i assume you do, but do you have the very latest version of java 1.4 installed? present mode uses 1.4-specific features that were likely buggy in apple's earlier releases of 1.4 (and not present in 1.3).
Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2005, 1:04am

I'm a bit vague on the subject. I don't have the latest version of 1.4 - to the best of my knowledge, the latest version of Apple's Java available to 10.2.8 is 1.4.1, 1.4.2 being available to Panther+ only.

I have, for certain, installed 1.4.1 but when I check the version number in processing, it shows 1.3.1 - it seems strange to me, but version numbers seem to be strange with everything related to Java.
Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2005, 2:39am

what do you mean by check the java version from inside processing? the program itself should give you an error if you try to run it with java 1.3 (though maybe that's not happening?)

by being up to date i just meant that you've installed absolutely everything possible from software update relating to java and the operating system, which it sounds like you're all set on.
Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2005, 4:23pm

Yep. I'm up to date with System Updates. What I meant about looking at the java version from within processing was this:

Code:

print(System.getProperty("java.version"));

I had checked it a couple of days ago while I was still using rev 0068 and it tells me that I'm using 1.3.1. I get the same results if I look at them on the web ( http://javatester.org/version.html ). However, after reading this, I checked again using 0085 and got the right result: 1.4.1_01.
Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2005, 6:18pm

i think that osx 10.2 will use java 1.3 when browsing the web, but the processing environment itself should be using 1.4, meaning that if you run processing and type that System.getProperty line you should get "1.4" out of it. if you try to run processing with only 1.3 installed, then it should be showing you an error and quitting. if that's not the case it needs to be fixed.

also fyi.. println(javaVersionName) does the getProperty for you, and javaVersion will give you the value as a float.

(edit) also, revisions prior to 85 used java 1.3 inside processing, and didn't require 1.4. and applets have a bug with 85 that requires 1.4. ah, the confusion!
Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2005, 6:34pm

fry wrote on Apr 25th, 2005, 12:49am:
present mode uses 1.4-specific features that were likely buggy in apple's earlier releases of 1.4 (and not present in 1.3).

So, I definately have 1.4.1 running in 85 - are the features used in present mode buggy in Apple Java 1.4.1 or should it be working
Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2005, 10:05pm

sounds like 1.4.1 might be buggy. i'll have to wait until i can get a 10.2 machine set up to see what's going on. in the meantime you might check apple's java bugs info (or google) to see if there are known problems with full screen mode in java 1.4.1 on 10.2.
Reply #8 - Apr 26th, 2005, 3:55pm

I had a look around but haven't seen anything yet. I'll let you know if I do.

In the meantime, good luck finding your 10.2 machine!
Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2005, 7:23am

resurrected an imac from a failed os install/firmware problem (http://www.capecodgraphics.com/imac_firmware.htm) and getting 10.2.8 installed on him now...
Reply #10 - May 2nd, 2005, 2:00am

bad news, it looks like full screen mode might be broken on osx 10.2. it may be very video card specific, i'm using an imac dv 400 which may be too crusty to get present mode working, but i'm getting the same behavior as you describe.

what sort of machine are you using?

i think i might have to just add a warning when you try to run an applet in present mode on 10.2.
Reply #11 - May 2nd, 2005, 2:37am

oh, and the confirmation was that sun's full screen demos were also broken, which tells me it's not just a processing issue Undecided

so the suspects are 1) doesn't work on certain video cards 2) java 1.4.1 has trouble with it (that was fixed in 1.4.2).
Reply #12 - May 2nd, 2005, 10:19pm

Thanks for looking into it, and I'm glad you got yourself a 10.2 machine.

I have a 12" G3 white iBook, dual USB model. As far as I remember the video card is a 32MB Radeon.
Reply #13 - May 3rd, 2005, 12:46am

nuts, yours should be a recent enough video chipset that it wouldn't be a video problem.. so i'm gonna point the finger at apple's java 1.4.1 (versus 1.4.2 on 10.3). bummer.

the new release shows a warning message if you try to use present (just in case it works for some).

i'll keep this on the list in case we find something out.
Reply #14 - Jul 28th, 2005, 2:30pm

logged in the bugs db as:
http://dev.processing.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=108
in case we ever find anything out about this one...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1