FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   General Processing Discussion
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   Very Large images, in processing, or otherwise?
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Very Large images, in processing, or otherwise?  (Read 605 times)
heuermh

Very Large images, in processing, or otherwise?
« on: Dec 21st, 2004, 8:53pm »

I have some pretty large data structures, specifically sparse 2D and 3D matrices indexed by longs, and am having trouble visualizing these using the java2d api (BufferedImage and friends) or the java advanced imaging api (TiledImage and friends).

Theoretically I might need an "image buffer" of dimensions 10^9 x 10^9 pixels large in which to draw, realistically I need at least 3,000,000 x 3,000,000.  Is it possible to create such a beast with processing?

fry

Re: Very Large images, in processing, or otherwise
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 10:20pm »

unfortunately, only if you have about 8.7 exabytes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exabyte) of storage at your disposal. for sparse matrices and such, there are probably much better tools for handling the data before you try to represent it with something like processing.

heuermh

« Reply #2 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 5:35pm »

Obviously, if the image representation is an array of pixels.

I apologize -- I was under the mistaken assumption that your large print works were done strictly using processing, it looks more like you programmed those directly to postscript or Illustrator format.

I'm going to give that route a try.

fry

« Reply #3 on: Dec 24th, 2004, 8:04am »

sure, so most of my large-format / high resolution work is done is postscript because of pixel considerations like this. in my case i use an illustrator library that i'll be integrating into processing. there's also the AIExport class that's currently available from a.w.martin: http://pantheon.yale.edu/%7Eawm9/aiexport/ have fun!

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »