FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   General Processing Discussion
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   m-e-e-e-e-e-e-mory
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: m-e-e-e-e-e-e-mory  (Read 586 times)
Euskadi

m-e-e-e-e-e-e-mory
« on: Sep 5th, 2004, 5:48am »

In my latest applet I can whack Bsonic, Bsound, and Btriangle (maybe more), to get the applet size down.

Is there documentation of what-does-what to support folks doing some trimming?? Like, what can I trim with what effect?

--

For the unfamiliar, P5 puts all of the goodies into your .jar file. If there are things you don't use and don't need, you still get them and it makes your .jar file FAT.  In my example, I'm getting 3 extra classes.

To wax the extra classes you can open the .jar file with Winzip (pretty cool). The only risk is that if you open with Winzip and delete a class that *is* needed, your jar won't work.

toxi

Re: m-e-e-e-e-e-e-mory
« Reply #1 on: Sep 6th, 2004, 11:37am »

you could use an obfuscator to postprocess the java bytecode of your .jar file. i've written a mini tut about using ProGuard here.  it doesn't work with all project setups, but should work with your average sketch. cuts down filesize to roughly 50%...

hth!

http://toxi.co.uk/
fry

« Reply #2 on: Sep 7th, 2004, 5:40am »

fwiw.. trimming full classes is generally gonna cause trouble.. i.e. BLine is used for all the line drawing, and BTriangle gets used if you ever happen to draw a complicated polygon.  

also fwiw.. as mentioned before, it is our intention to improve the class size of things (between beta and 1.0 prolly).

Euskadi

« Reply #3 on: Sep 11th, 2004, 2:36am »

yeah, i think i have probably complained about this before... sorry to be redundant. it's just that i'm limited on my bandwidth -- but i'm sure 1.0 will be out before i get any significant traffic.

thanks again!

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »