FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   General Processing Discussion
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   Strange Attractors Creating patterns in Chaos book
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Strange Attractors Creating patterns in Chaos book  (Read 1002 times)
Jean-Jacques

Strange Attractors Creating patterns in Chaos book
« on: Jan 15th, 2004, 11:08am »

Hello to all !

I've fund a very good resource about making chaotic patterns (it explains theory and give simple and progressive examples).
http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/fractals/booktext/SABOOK.PDF
this book was written by Julien C. Sprott.

The code given in the book was written in Basic but i hope that processing folks will try to implement some examples : )

pix

Re: Strange Attractors Creating patterns in Chaos
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16th, 2004, 1:54am »

here's an animation i made quite a while ago now based on the equations in this book. it's not processing (but it is java). it's a visual exploration of something that isn't really mentioned in the book: how similar (visually) are the results of attactors with similar coefficients? well, this animation is generated by "walking" through the ~30 dimensional number space that defines one kind of attractor, and produces some very smoothly morphing shapes. so, the answer seems to be, pretty similar.

although it isn't shown decisively in the animation, it is interesting to note that although the shapes seem to be similar between two "adjacent" attactors, individual points seem to have little or no correlation. that is, the 1000th calculated point in one frame is nowhere near the 1000th calulated point in the next. this makes it quite difficult to do anything cool with the resulting point data, apart from plot it as a particle cloud.

remaking this using processing is on my long list of things i'd like to do, as it would almost certainly be faster and more stable.

http://pix.test.at/java/lung/
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2004, 1:57am by pix »  
arielm

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16th, 2004, 9:20am »

on the same topic, an interesting previous post in this forum: Chaotic Icon

pix, i saw in your site an example called zoom: it's a great example of chaos vs order, could you post a link to it with source code

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
pix

« Reply #3 on: Jan 30th, 2004, 12:56am »

thanks ariel. unfortunately the code is needlessly complicated, and doesn't work in current versions of processing. i'd rather post it when i've re-written it. ideally, i want to get rid of that ugly garbage-collection-pause which ruins the effect (i think).

arielm

« Reply #4 on: Jan 30th, 2004, 2:28am »

maybe it's not a garbage collection issue, but rather a non-use of framerate(n)?

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »