FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   General Processing Discussion
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   what about JVMs?
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: what about JVMs?  (Read 723 times)
marcello

WWW Email
what about JVMs?
« on: Jul 27th, 2004, 7:55pm »

Fundamentally i'm a rookie about java problems so, maybe, my are silly questions.

I'm using Microsoft Windows ME with IE 5.5. The JVM installed is the default Microsoft JVM. Now the questions are the following:

1. Is it true that the Microsoft JVM supports just Java 1.1?
2. Why do applets run very slow when i set in my IE the Sun JVM 1.4.2? (the same applets run well using Microsoft JVM)
3. Are there further and more efficient JVMs that support java versions higher than 1.1?
4. Is it true that in the future Microsoft will leave  JVMs in its browsers?
5. What kind of JVM does P5 plugin use?

I'm sorry for a lot of ingenuous questions. Anyway i would be grateful if someone will help me to vanish my doubts.

Best Regards,
Marcello

fry

Re: what about JVMs?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 8:38pm »

a test!  

1. yes, the ms jvm is only 1.1

2. the msjvm is faster, particularly for awt than sun's vm. also, i wouldn't be surprised if sun's java may not be as happy on WinME (as opposed to win2k or xp)

3. not that i know of, though i'd be excited to hear of em..

4. msft is no longer developing its jvm, partially due to sun suing them.  

5. p5 isn't a plugin, it just uses whatever vm is available. processing.exe uses the jvm that's included with it (in the standard version, which is java 1.4 from sun) or whatever you have installed for the expert version.

marcello

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 8:54pm »

Thank you fry,
you are very kind.

Just a last question:  
You said that processing uses the sun java 1.4 and i have to say that my sketches run in P5 as well as when they run on IE with Microsoft JVM. Does this means that if I install sun java 1.4 on IE i'll have better performances in running applets than sun java 1.4.2?

Excuse me for disturbing you again.

Marcello

arielm

« Reply #3 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 10:31pm »

i don't think there will be a noticeable difference between sun's java versions 1.4 and 1.4.2

anyway, personally i find sun's vm to be faster than ms on win2k & winXP (on win9x it's another _ sad_ story...)

i think it's due to the fact that sun's java 1.4+ is using hardware acceleration for most of the graphics operations.

to marcello's question # 3:

- i heard than IBM has a very fast java vm

- i also heard that sun's java runs even slightly faster when launched in "server" mode

these 2 rumors won't help when running applets, but could be helpful for those who need faster java performance on a local machine...

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
marcello

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 11:05pm »

Thank you arielm,

you both have been really kind with me. Your answers were very enlightening.  

Thank you again,
Marcello

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »