FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   General Processing Discussion
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   Processing, java differentiators...
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Processing, java differentiators...  (Read 399 times)
rherman

Processing, java differentiators...
« on: Mar 11th, 2004, 5:24am »

I am new to Processing. I love the work being showcased, but I am not clear from the docs on what differentiates it from just coding in java, compiling, and posting a standard java applet. Is it the libraries, the auto compile and index.html file for those that may never have programmed? For the past 2 years, I've been using Blender with it's built-in python scripting API to visualize math and science concepts and just to create pretty pictures. I am going to dive into Processing to clear up my ignorance. The Processing community seems very vibrant and productive.Thanks.

Rob

REAS

Re: Processing, java differentiators...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11th, 2004, 9:25am »

One one level, it is just an easy-for-beginners Java IDE, but I think you'll find the graphics library to be very different from Java. Also, because we're only featuring a subset of Java and have some implicit assumptions about what people are making, we can produce code which is far simpler. For example:
http://processing.org/reference/compare/processing_java.html

Have a look at the code in the examples:
http://processing.org/learning/index.html

I've never looked at Blender so I can't speak to the differences.

rherman

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12th, 2004, 12:57am »

Yes the library is certainly different. How about the speed of the compiled bytecode as compared with java? Have been able to optimize it based upon the implicit assumptions? Just curious, but great work. I'm glad to see it bring together so many people from different areas. As soon as I have transcribed some old programs from java and written some new Processing code, I'll become more active on the forums. Good luck.

Rob

mattgilbert

tangramkid WWW Email
Re: Processing, java differentiators, combination
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27th, 2004, 2:15am »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the community.

Hi Casey, I saw you present at Art Center the other day. I'm Matt Gilbert, the student who spoke to you briefly about a visual programming project.

I've got a question about mixing Processing and Java. I think I saw somewhere on this site it was mentioned that Processing and Java could be combined. I understand that Processing can't make class packages (yet), but is there a way to use packages developed in java, or to import classes written in Java, or anything similar? Basically, I have a Java program I've been working on for a while, but I'ld like to translate what I have to processing so I can do certain things, especially sound things with processing and sonia.

Thanks for any help,

Matt

fry

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27th, 2004, 4:05pm »

behind the scenes, processing apps are simply java, the code extends a class called BApplet (which itself extends 'Applet'). it makes use of no java2d or java3d features (is completely 1.1 compliant) because it uses its own graphics engine, which draws to an image the size of the applet (thus you can't mix-in your own java2d/3d)

you can add other packages/code by dropping them into a folder called 'code' inside your sketch folder. they'll magically be added to the classpath (and their import * statements will be added to your code as well). there are currently some caveats for doing this in conjunction with serial/video (see the posts elsewhere on the board) but this is the way to do it.

mattgilbert

tangramkid WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28th, 2004, 3:58am »

oh, rock! magic!

Matt

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »