FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   General Processing Discussion
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   Processing in Java IDE - tips?
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Processing in Java IDE - tips?  (Read 389 times)
amoeba

Processing in Java IDE - tips?
« on: Nov 27th, 2003, 1:20pm »

I've just started work on a networked project which will be something like my "Drawing machines 1-12", but based on a client/server model where clients can log on and modify the behavior of the system.  

In that connection I would like to use Processing as a library to save me time, but to actually develop the project in the Processing IDE would be a pain. I normally use JBuilder, which allows me to include the .class files and even see the method names, but for some obscure reason refuses to compile. It annoyingly tells me that BApplet does not exist, even as it lets me see the manifest for it.

Anyone with tips or experiences to share about using Processing in a full-fledged Java IDE? I know some people use Eclipse, but it looked like a monster to me.

Guess I could revert to plain ol' Java, but Processing now feels like second nature to me...

marius watz // amoeba
http://processing.unlekker.net/
_martin
Email
Re: Processing in Java IDE - tips?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 6:57am »

hi marius,

i don't have any problem using the bagel classes in jcreator. the lite version is available for free.

hmm, how are you using it?

_m

_martin
Email
« Reply #2 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 7:01am »

i have a weird feeling that it might be a classpath configuration issue on the part of your ide.

amoeba

« Reply #3 on: Dec 8th, 2003, 5:05am »

thanks for the tips, martin. I had given up, but then I just had another crack at it and of course now it works perfectly. go figure. it turned out I needed to define it as a library.

now I just have to figure out how to make loop() behave itself. I'm developing a multi-threaded application, and loop should ideally only run when I want it to. I guess I could get around it by using a boolean flag like doDraw which is only set to true when I want to redraw. then loop() would just return immediately if doDraw was false. and I'd use setup to start the other threads.

could end up being a nasty retro-fit hack, or a nice way of getting the full bagel experience in java 1.1...
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2003, 5:21am by amoeba »  

marius watz // amoeba
http://processing.unlekker.net/
Martin

122417302122417302martingomez_listsmg1ph WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: Dec 8th, 2003, 3:54pm »

good to hear! good to hear! can't wait to see what you'll whip up this time.

mmm, i've done some multithreading stuff before ... you might wanna take a look at it over at http://decode.ateneo.edu/martin/experiments/multithread/ ... rather quick sketch at that.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »