FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   General Processing Discussion
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   Bloated file sizes
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Bloated file sizes  (Read 479 times)
neave

Bloated file sizes
« on: Nov 10th, 2003, 11:39am »

I've noticed when exporting to the web within Processing, the file size of the JAR file used is nearly 100KB.

This is really bloated - the JAR includes many redundant classes. Could the Processing compiler detect which classes need to be included and only include those in the JAR?

For example, I can make a program that has nothing to do with sound in it, yet the BSound.class file is always included.

As the applets produced do not include any preloaders, downloading 100KB over a modem means staring at a grey box for up to a minute, let alone the amount of bandwidth I'm having to pay for.

Don't get me wrong: Processing is brilliant, but I'm very reluctant to use it if file sizes remain so huge for so little code.

:: www.neave.com ::
neave

Re: Bloated file sizes
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 12:06pm »

Just a thought...

At the moment, each JAR file includes all the classes needed for the applet, as well as the extra program code. If you have several experiments using the same classes, surely it'd be better to only download the main classes once, and have the program class download individually for each experiment? A sort of Processing player/plug-in download.

Is there a way to download a JAR file of the necessary classes, and an individual class file for your program? Downloading only the class file for your program would save huge amounts of download time.

arielm

« Reply #2 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 2:35pm »

i heard that ben fry is currently working hard on version 68, that will make BSound and the-like optional, so it should solve part of your problems,

concerning the issue of having the core processing-engine classes into one standalone .jar, there is this "suggestion":
http://proce55ing.net/discourse/yabb/board_Proce55ing_Software__action_display_num_1067360903.html

for now, it's always possible to build your own "Bagel.jar" manually (i can tell-you more about this one if required...)

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
fry

« Reply #3 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 4:37pm »

yes, the file size will improve. also from bugs.txt:

- the size of exported applets has jumped in this release. this will
  get smaller again in a future release. we're in the middle of
  transitioning between two different sets of rendering/graphics code.

neave

« Reply #4 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 5:50pm »

I'm really intrigued by the Bagel.jar idea... the demo works for me. It'd be great if it could be included in the "export to web" option as default, rather than having to dig around in the jar files each time.
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2003, 5:51pm by neave »  

fry

« Reply #5 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 7:13pm »

bagel is still too in flux to support just a single bagel.jar, we may do something like tag them with their release numbers.. ie. bagel-0067.jar, that way your stuff works properly. once beta hits this will hopefully settle down a good bit more, but it may just be useful to have them tagged that way. at any rate, it'll likely help for having a handful of applets that all use the same bagel.

neave

« Reply #6 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 11:22am »

That is a great idea.

Only problem now is that I have a yearning to eat lots of baked goods...

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 2:02pm »

and arielm said: "let them eat bagels!"

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »