FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   General Processing Discussion
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   P5 and FreeBSD?
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: P5 and FreeBSD?  (Read 1123 times)
mccutchen

WWW Email
P5 and FreeBSD?
« on: Jan 13th, 2003, 11:25pm »

Has anyone tried getting proce55ing to work with FreeBSD?

I'm about to switch to a FreeBSD-only computer with the upcoming release of 5.0-RELEASE, and proce55ing is one of the only pieces of software I know I'll miss from Windows.

Martin

122417302122417302martingomez_listsmg1ph WWW Email
Re: P5 and FreeBSD?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14th, 2003, 11:21am »

there's java for freebsd. linux version of p5 should work just fine. http://www.freebsd.org/java/

fry

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15th, 2003, 12:11am »

heh. yikes.

would be happy to have someone check this out. you should be able to run it on any java 1.3-ready platform, or the macos9 version (which is java 1.1) could be hacked up to run as well.

from the command prompt, in the same directory as p5, try using:  

Code:
java -cp lib:lib/build:lib/pde.jar:lib/kjc.jar:lib/oro.jar:../comm.jar PdeBase

to run the most recent release. just download the windows 'expert' version and make a shell script out of the above and it should work fine.  

the linux version has a tiny c wrapper which does the same thing as the shell script. i s'pose that could be compiled for freebsd too.

good luck & let us know how it goes

mccutchen

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13th, 2003, 10:23am »

Okay, so I finally got around to installing FreeBSD 5 last weekend.  After some effort (I really have no idea what I'm doing, most of the time), I managed to get both the FreeBSD native and the Linux-Sun jdk 1.3.1 installed and working.

So, I decided to take a shot at running p5.

I get the same results with revisions 48, 50, and 51.

When using the FreeBSD native jdk (/usr/local/jdk1.3.1) I get the following output when I run the command you gave me:
Code:

will@hermes $ java -cp lib:lib/build:lib/pde.jar:lib/kjc.jar:lib/oro.jar:../comm.jar PdeBase

unhandled osname: FreeBSD
Font specified in font.properties not found [--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
Font specified in font.properties not found [--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java/awt/event/MouseWheelListener
   at PdeEditor.<init>(PdeEditor.java:117)
   at PdeBase.<init>(PdeBase.java:220)
   at PdeBase.main(PdeBase.java:103)

and it does nothing after that, but doesn't return... I have to ^C to get my prompt back.

Using the Linux-Sun jdk (/usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.3.1), I get the following:
Code:

will@hermes $ java -cp lib:lib/build:lib/pde.jar:lib/kjc.jar:lib/oro.jar:../comm.jar PdeBase

Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>Escape,_Key_Cancel" to type VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>Home,_Key_Begin" to type VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>F1,_Key_Help" to type VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "Shift<Key>F10,_Key_Menu" to type VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>F10,Shift_Key_Menu" to type VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "<Key>KP_Enter,_Key_Execute" to type VirtualBinding
Warning: Cannot convert string "Alt<Key>Return,Alt_Key_KP_Enter" to type VirtualBinding
Error reading pde.properties
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at PdeBase.<init>(PdeBase.java:181)
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java/awt/event/MouseWheelListener
   at PdeEditor.<init>(PdeEditor.java:117)
   at PdeBase.<init>(PdeBase.java:220)

and again, I have to ^C to get my prompt back.

This is all pretty much gibberish to me.  If you have any other suggestions, I'd like to try them, but I know that FreeBSD is not high on your list of OSes you'd like to support (if it's on there at all).

fry

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13th, 2003, 3:27pm »

interesting..

the 'unhandled osname' is p5 saying it never knew it was supposed to run on your os, and therefore has no os-specific code for you (we use this a lot on the mac, for instance, because of some of the 'creative' things that the vm does and that we have to work around). it defaults to assuming that you're running on windows, which is fairly safe.  

next, the font.properties stuff is just your java vm spewing at you, it should do that for any app.

then, the NoClassDefError.. there it's just upset because it's expected jdk 1.4--oops, i told you to download the windows version, which expects jdk 1.4. you should instead try the linux version, which expects java 1.3 the layout of the files and the command line oughta be the same.

the sun jdk looks more buggy.. i'd stick with the freebsd native for now and see if you can get it to work. if you get stuck maybe the sun one will be worth trying and we can figure out those other exceptions.

mccutchen

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13th, 2003, 8:22pm »

Eureka!

I got revision 0051 up and running with the native jdk... using the linux version, like you suggested, did the trick.

I had to change a little bit of the command you gave me to get it to work, so the shell script I have looks like so:

Code:

/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/bin/java -cp lib:lib/build:lib/pde.jar:lib/kjc.jar:lib/oro.jar:java/lib/ext/comm.jar PdeBase

The change is in the path to comm.jar.

Now, the output I get at the command prompt, after all the font-not-found business, is like so:

Code:

Error reading pde.properties
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at PdeBase.<init>(PdeBase.java:181)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/lib/javax.comm.properties (No such file or directory)

The fonts are pretty gnarly, though... I guess I'll take a look at the font.properties file and see if I can figure out how to change them.  Any suggestions?  It's a pretty intimidating file.

I haven't actually used it much, yet, but I loaded an one of the example sketches, and it ran just fine.

Thanks for your patience.

[Edit]
P.S. What is performance of p5 applets like on Linux compared to Windows?

P.P.S. The first peculiarity that I've noticed is that I can't save a sketch with any capital letters in its name.  I don't remember it working like that in Windows.
[/Edit]
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2003, 8:51pm by mccutchen »  
fry

« Reply #6 on: Feb 14th, 2003, 2:16am »

cool, good to hear.

for the fonts, you should be able to just assigned a new font inside lib/pde.properties, rather than digging through and trying to remap all the java vm stuff in font.properties (at least hopefully). if you get stuck, you could try a little p5 app that used Toolkit.getFontList and have that println() out the available fonts so that you can pick something usable for the editor.

linux tends to be a little slower, since i don't think the vm is as heavily optimized as the windows versions are.. ymmv.

thanks for the info about the command line.

the NullPointerException is because it's looking for an os-specific pde_*****.properties in your lib folder, although it doesn't know what **** should be (it's normally linux/windows/macosx etc). it's harmless but we can fix it in the future.

the capital letters thing makes me a little nervous, not sure why that would be causing trouble.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »