FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Video, Camera
(Moderator: REAS)
   Live Video from multiple cameras
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Live Video from multiple cameras  (Read 1219 times)
itpshiffman

WWW Email
Live Video from multiple cameras
« on: Apr 7th, 2004, 9:13pm »

It appears to me that the video library in processing currently only supports reading a stream from one camera.  Am I correct or does anyone know of a way to read from multiple cameras within the processing environment?

Thanks!

Dan

http://stage.itp.tsoa.nyu.edu/~dts204/ppaint/

trip

triparepa WWW Email
Re: Live Video from multiple cameras
« Reply #1 on: Apr 8th, 2004, 3:50am »

from what I understand that is correct... however, I have been thinking of ways to get around this, and in a computationally "cheap" way.

one solution could be using a video mixer. just feed the two streams into the mixer, divide the screen with a transition, leave it at 50% and then just send that to processing... then tell your proggie what side of the videopixels are what 'feed'

similar method, but with another type of hardware: get one of those surveillance video splitters (they have a name, i just cant remember what they are called). you can get four or more feeds in there (depending on the hardware), and they are split four (or more) ways across the screen. you can probably get one of those used for less than 200 bucks if its in color, even less for b&w.

in any case, doing it like this is probably much faster than having two video feeds clogging up your computer's data bus.

btw: i love reactive. my work/interest is similar than yours, and i think we may even have a common friend from itp, andres jimenez.

hope this helps

c

itpshiffman

WWW Email
Re: Live Video from multiple cameras
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15th, 2004, 6:02pm »

Thanks for the response!  Indeed, sometimes the best solution is a hardware one. . . . .

Best,
Dan

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »