FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Tools
(Moderator: REAS)
   Great and wonderful tools
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Great and wonderful tools  (Read 1723 times)
rhellyer

Great and wonderful tools
« on: Apr 8th, 2005, 9:33pm »

I notice that folks have developed some great tools for proce55ing usually in the form of classes. Among these are blur (several sorts), vectors, particles, springs/masses etc. Are these collected together anywhere so that they can be re-used without having to troll through the message boards scavenging for snippets?

sspboyd

Re: Great and wonderful tools
« Reply #1 on: Apr 9th, 2005, 1:21am »

There is currently a libraries page as part of the Reference section:
http://processing.org/reference/libraries/

Is this the kind of thing you're thinking of adding to?

gmail.com w/ sspboyd username
rhellyer

« Reply #2 on: Apr 9th, 2005, 7:07am »

yes ... perhaps a section that was devoted to useful 'classes' with a modicum of documentation where appropriate. I guess one would want to avoid having just too many; however, there seem to be some classics (like the ones i mentioned in the post) that would help beginners (like me) to get going.

fry

« Reply #3 on: Apr 9th, 2005, 11:36pm »

have you found the technotes section?
http://processing.org/reference/technotes/index.html

rhellyer

« Reply #4 on: Apr 10th, 2005, 11:27pm »

... i did find the technotes which are really a great resource. That's what started me on this. I'd remembered noticing that someone had use a 'particle' class and that someone else had a 'vector' class that seemed handy .. i went trying to find code for both of those and couldn't find them in either technotes or libraries. It's probably not a big deal because i was able to find them with a search.

sspboyd

« Reply #5 on: Apr 11th, 2005, 9:55am »

sounds like a wiki might be good for this.

gmail.com w/ sspboyd username
REAS

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16th, 2005, 10:36pm »

like processing itself, we're trying to keep the processing website very focused and minimal. we're really just two people doing the majority of the work.  

i've recently come to realize this website can't be a vibrant community site because i need to put my energy into getting the software out and the book finished. i think it would be great if someone was motivated to build a code-sharing site wiki-style, but it's not something i can manage here at the moment.

if it's a good resource, i'm very happy to link to it and promote it from the processing website.

JohnG

« Reply #7 on: Apr 17th, 2005, 5:01pm »

Something like SourceForce might be able to be used for this sort of thing. It allows multiple peopel to access files and have them publicly distributable.

Though finding things on it can be a bit of pain at times, so someone would have to keep a link to all the Processing projects on it.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »