FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Programming Questions & Help
   Syntax
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   Loading images takes time
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Loading images takes time  (Read 382 times)
drupi

Loading images takes time
« on: Mar 27th, 2005, 7:39pm »

Hi, everyone.
I'm making a web applet that puts many particles in movement and draws their paths to the screen. It takes as input images gathered from a Google image search (this part is done in PHP).
You could think of it as a sophisticated slide show, where the actual images are never shown, but are rather taken as input data to generate a different visual experience.
Now comes the problem: while I'm making a loadImage() my beautiful particles freeze where they are till the pic is loaded. That's not nice. I'd like to keep them in continuous movement, and load the new pics 'in the background'.
The delay depends on the bandwith of the user. Dial-up guys (like me) will have a bad opinion of my work...

I suppose I'm in need of something like multithreading. I found this post: http://processing.org/discourse/yabb/board_Tools_action_display__num_1045182290.html
But unfortunately the links are no longer valid (and the code no longer there!)
Any suggestions

I've been using p5 and lurking around silently in this forum for some time now. I think Processing is a wonderful language, and you guys a wonderful community.
It's nice to be here.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »