FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Programming Questions & Help
   Syntax
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   beginner - PERL compatability
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: beginner - PERL compatability  (Read 490 times)
matt

skybook Email
beginner - PERL compatability
« on: Feb 6th, 2003, 10:08pm »

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has attempted to work with PERL? If so, have you had any success?

_matt
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2003, 10:08pm by matt »  
Glen Murphy

WWW Email
Re: beginner - PERL compatability
« Reply #1 on: Feb 7th, 2003, 12:39am »

In what context are you referring to? Using Perl within P5, using Perl to spit out applets, using Perl to communicate with a running applet?

Sorry, a bit confused.

matt

skybook Email
Re: beginner - PERL compatability
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15th, 2003, 9:50pm »

Glen, thanks for the reply, sorry for the delay, it's gotten crazy down here in the last two weeks.

I will give you a better explanation of what I am working on. I am experimenting with the WordNet database (http://cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn) which is traditionally queried via one of two Perl APIs: either QueryData or with Lingua. My eventual goal is to use the query results in Proce55ing for a series of visual explorations.  

As I see it there are two solutions. First, use the Lingua API and Perl to query the database and get a running applet to communicate with Perl. Or second, skip Perl altogether, and find out if there exists a Java API that will communicate with a Berkeley formated database.  

Clearly, the second option is much more appealing. There is a Java API that will work with the original format of the database, but it's very slow. Converting the db to Berkeley format increases speed dramatically. So, the goal is to find out whether there is a Berkeley format compatable Java API. And, if so, will it work with Proce55ing.

Any thoughts?

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »