FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Programming Questions & Help
   Syntax
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   declaring relative to height.
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: declaring relative to height.  (Read 599 times)
benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
declaring relative to height.
« on: Jan 8th, 2003, 1:25pm »

ok, so this's my lack of knowledge about the order of compilation, but here's a question: how come, when i declare a variable, say, outside of a procedure, and i define it relative to height, the height is given as 0.

for example:

Code:

void setup() {
  size(200,200);
}

int a = width;
int b = height;

void loop() {
  println(a + ', ' + b);
}

this code will print out the line "0, 0" in proce55ing. obviously the variables a and b have been declared by the time loop() is called, otherwise an error would be given. and aren't all variables created only after the size() is given?

is there a magic veil hanging between the workings of proce55ing and my eyes?

is this a bug?

should i go to bed? (yes)

-jacob

fry

Re: declaring relative to height.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 2:39pm »

variables declared outside a function that have definitions, eg. a = width, or a = 3, will be defined when the class is created. this means that before anything is run, the variable is set.  

so in this case, by the time setup() is called, a and b are already set to 'width' and 'height', which have no value set for them.  

why not just use width and height?

you're right, size() sets all the graphics-oriented variables, but because a and b are being assigned to the current value of width/height at startup, they just wind up being zero.

(note that this isn't just a p5 thing, it's built into java and c++ and most other languages as such..)
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2003, 2:40pm by fry »  
Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »