FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Programming Questions & Help
   Syntax
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   MIDI implementation?
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: MIDI implementation?  (Read 1203 times)
Michael Bernstein
Email
MIDI implementation?
« on: Nov 14th, 2002, 8:00pm »

Hi I was wondering if anyone had tried to get MIDI data into Processing?  Or if there was any simple solution using the serial aspects of processing to get MIDI data in?  I am working on a series of projects at Parsons where I manipulate visual components of prgrams with MIDI data -- any ideas?

Mike

fry

Re: MIDI implementation?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15th, 2002, 1:28am »

i haven't tried though it'd be possible (in an ugly way) to use the java sound stuff (not in applets--only in the p5 environment) if you use the full package names for the javax.sound classes. that is, since p5 doesn't import javax.sound (due to applet exporting, which has to be jdk 1.1) your code would read:

javax.sound.midi.Instrument instrument = new Instrument( .. );

instead of using "import javax.sound.midi.*" at the beginning of your app, and  

Instrument instrument = new Instrument( .. );

for the actual code. kind of an ugly pain (will be fixed in the future), but it should work (at least while running in the p5 environment).

mrb

Re: MIDI implementation?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15th, 2002, 4:02am »

Hi its Mike Bernstein again, but I registered

Anyway, I am sort of a proce55ing beginner -- I have made some interesting visual things and would like to be able to control them with a sort of primitive midi controller that I made which sends continuous control messages on channel 1 with controllers 8-11.  

So, what I am saying is that I don't really want to use MIDI to control sound, but rather other things -- like I want the 0-127 that the controllers send to be able to control four variables (one for each controller: 8,9,10,11) -- would the way to do this still be to use the example code you submitted?  Any way anyone could submit a small bit of code I could put in the beginning of a proce55ing program which would allow me to access OMS in MacOs9?  Just wondering if this is possible.  Thanks.

Mike

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »