FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Programming Questions & Help
   Programs
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   Imbedding Pixels[] in a larger arrary
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Imbedding Pixels[] in a larger arrary  (Read 1798 times)
john

Imbedding Pixels[] in a larger arrary
« on: Apr 2nd, 2005, 1:29am »

Hi All,
I am wondering if there is a way to embedded pixels[] in an array larger than the display window and then clip it back. Alternatively, to temporarily expand pixels[]. What I want to do is use all the nice drawing functions that you all have developed to draw some things and then apply my own highly non-linear map to this image to create a visual screen. Alternitavely, think of this as applying a somewhat more general coordinate transformation than the linear ones emplyed by poping and pushing the linear transforms you have embedded. If there are some very explicit structured calls to these coordinate maps in the drawing functions then maybe the way to do this is to intercept those calls. I am not at all sure at what point I should be trying to interdict the drawing mechanism. I am trying to avoid doing this by other more involved means which would eventually result in rewriting the drawing library. I think that this is a question of some general interests for all those who might want to break out of the usual cartesian spaces ( 2-D or 3-D) that one usually is constrained to work in. Wouldn't it be nice to work on a more plastic canvas?

One small advantage is that some non-linear maps, like projection on a 3-D sphere, would avoid boudary clipping in the domain since this kind of map maps an infinte area surface onto a finite area. You could look at this as trading one kind of non-linearity ( clipping) for another.  

Thanks in advance for any useful hints, tips, and admonitions.

jd
fry

Re: Imbedding Pixels[] in a larger arrary
« Reply #1 on: Apr 2nd, 2005, 2:32am »

do a search for discussions about BGraphics here on the forum. that'll show you how to create another drawing surface (of any size, memory willing) that can then be drawn back to the screen as needed.

john

« Reply #2 on: Apr 2nd, 2005, 4:22am »

Thanks, the forum discussion seems to point the way...just to make sure, ALL your drawing methods are also methods of the class BGraphics..which is a buffer i can size as needed (if the space is availible)..and copy to and from pixels[]...that is correct?

again, thanks in advance on a Friday night...and btw...this really is cool...

jd
Mark Hill

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: Apr 2nd, 2005, 6:23pm »

Here's one that I've been messing about with, if it's any use:

http://www.mark-hill.co.uk/p5/PerfectSurface/

Click and move the mouse on the screen to scroll the buffer. Uses multiple replicate functions to display wrap around areas.
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2005, 6:25pm by Mark Hill »  
Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »