FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Programming Questions & Help
   Programs
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   En/Decoding a binary file..
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: En/Decoding a binary file..  (Read 691 times)
skloopy

En/Decoding a binary file..
« on: Mar 5th, 2005, 2:10am »

I'm trying to write some particle data to a pdc (maya particle disk cache). Alias only has one little page on the format, but it says the pdc file is a binary file.  

For now I'm just trying to read this test file.

http://elfman.vendetta.com/ryan/particleShape1.6000.pdc

I've looked all over for how to read a binary file like that, but I haven't found much. I know that loadBytes() is supposed to do it, but this file has strings and numbers in it. The strings come through fine when I use loadStrings() but the numbers get all garbled. I think there's something simple I'm missing.. Any ideas anybody?

Thanks!
ryan

fjen

Re: En/Decoding a binary file..
« Reply #1 on: Mar 5th, 2005, 9:12am »

hi ryan,

i had a similar problem with my alice2.0 importer ... see here how to do it:
http://www.florianjenett.de/p55/byte_juggle.pde

i guess they use either some marker (return, tab?) to differentiate between strings and numbers, or fixed lengths for the string-pieces. trial&error ...

/F

skloopy

Re: En/Decoding a binary file..
« Reply #2 on: Mar 8th, 2005, 3:32am »

Thanks Florian! That was just the info I needed. It turned out i needed to do the opposite of your Alice loader, because I wanted to write files ultimately. Writing the code to load the files helped me figure out how to write em tho. Wahaha i'm sucha a hacker! J/K i'm not really. Just feels that way.

If you're interested I can post a demo or something. It wouldn't be much good as an applet because file writing is the main function.

anyways thanks!

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »