FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Bugs
   Software Bugs
(Moderator: fry)
   v67: code folder causes "run" to hang
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: v67: code folder causes "run" to hang  (Read 496 times)
maniere

v67: code folder causes "run" to hang
« on: Dec 23rd, 2003, 7:48am »

I'm running P5 version 67, on Windows 2000 Pro sp3, on various Dell PCs and laptops.

Every time I add a "code" folder to the sketch folder, P5 hangs when I try to "run" my sketch -- no matter what the sketch is.  I receive no error messages; only an hourglass.  When I try to close the window, it requires a second click, and then I get a windows "this program is not responding" error.  However, once I export the file, and view my sketch via the html file, everything is ok.

For a long time I thought this had something to do with Amit Pitaru's Sonia plug-in....  This is what I was putting into the code folder.  But the amazing Amit showed me that the problem exists no matter what I put in there -- or even if I leave the code folder empty.  Sonia is not the problem.

Even just this one line sketch, with an empty code folder, reveals the bug:

line(0,0,100,100);

But as soon as I remove the code folder, the sketch runs fine.

This is obviously not a problem for most people.  I've gotten P5 67 to work on other configurations.  There seems to be some incompatability with my particular system.

This is not the result of a faulty installation -- I've sucessfully installed several versions of P5 before.  And besides that, Amit sat with me through an uninstallation and reinstallation.  Even after this expert audit, the problem continues.

This is also not the result of a quirky machine -- I've tested this on several.  But it could be a quirky incompatability with a particular configuration.   All my machines are running Windows 2000 SP3, and they're configured more or less the same.

But there is one clue....  I'm running Norton Utilities (on all mahines), and once I started running into these P5 problems, I also noticed a problem with my Norton's.....  When I go to 'Norton Utilities/ System Maintenance' to check on the specific configuration of my machine, I get no data, and Norton's hangs.  This never happened before.  And like Amit said, when two problems pop up at the same time, chances are good they are related.

I have tried disabling Norton's, and this does not fix the problem.  I have not yet tried fully uninstalling Norton's to see what happens.

By the way, I wonder if the problem I'm experiencing is the same as the one reported under the "error with video and code folder" title.

continued good luck, and I hope this helps!

fry

Re: v67: code folder causes "run" to hang
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24th, 2003, 12:09am »

are you using the norton antivirus stuff as part of the norton utils package?

this has come up with symantec's antivirus, and it seems to be related. i haven't been able to get access to a machine that has the problem so i haven't been able to debug/fix/find a workaround for it.

maniere

Re: v67: code folder causes "run" to hang
« Reply #2 on: Mar 1st, 2004, 9:19am »

I finally uninstalled Norton Utilities 2001 and guess what: the code folder and Sonia now work flawlessly.  Your (and Amit's) suspicions are correct.

After figuring that out, I risked installing Norton Antivirus 2004 Pro, and more good news: everything still works.

So that nagging problem with the code folder seems to occur either in conjunction with the Norton Utilities package, or specifically to the 2001 version.  I haven't tried it with Norton Utilities 2004, and I don't know if I will.  I sure am glad that's over!

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »