FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Bugs
   Software Bugs
(Moderator: fry)
   Editor: Doesn't display code properly on Tablet XP
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Editor: Doesn't display code properly on Tablet XP  (Read 590 times)
Stephanie Grush
Email
Editor: Doesn't display code properly on Tablet XP
« on: Oct 17th, 2003, 12:29am »

Version: 0065
Computer info: Toshiba Portege 3505 Tablet PC running Win XP tablet edition. The problem did not appear on my old Win XP Pro laptop.

Problem: The built-in editor does not display code properly during editing. Appears to have redraw problems and/or a memory leak. Problem is only apparent in Processing's editor, not other text editors.

Gory details:

Memory leak? Response to text input (into the editor) is sometimes slow, delays of up to a second. I checked the memory usage, and every few characters typed, the amount of memory used by javaw.exe goes up (it's currently at 27,352k) by a couple k. I'm not showing any spikes in CPU usage, the memory just keeps slowly increasing.

Trouble redrawing the editor window?  
Here are some examples:

When starting a new sketch, the old sketch may still show up in the window until I move a different window over the Processing window, then return the processing window to the front.  

On moving from a line with text to a blank line, either by hitting enter or by clicking, the cursor and green box either do not move until something is typed (at which point they appear at the expected location) or the text of the line the cursor *was* on appears on the blank line (until something is typed at which point it goes away). I'm unable to detect a pattern in which of these occurs save that if I hit enter repeatedly, the same one happens again and again; I've had both happen after opening a new sketch, and one of the two always happens when moving to a blank line.

I had one instance of moving the Processing window, hitting enter and having the gray box that indicates which line you're on appear partially outside of the processing window, carrying over onto this Internet Explorer window, but I can't repeat the problem; and sometimes part of the "Save changes to new sketch?" dialogue is duplicated in the gray box.

These problems may be due to some sort of fundamental incompatibility due to a bug in Win XP tablet edition, or something. I have not checked memory usage on a PC running the non tablet version of Win XP. I haven't had trouble running java apps though.

fry

Re: Editor: Doesn't display code properly on Table
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18th, 2003, 7:20pm »

interesting.. thanks for the detailed bug report.

one place to start.. are you using the standard or expert version of p5? if you're using the standard, you might try downloading expert, and installing the very latest java vm (just hit the 'download' link on java.com). if you're using expert already, you might try 'standard'. it could be an incompatability between the java vm and tablet xp.  

it's tough to say where this would be coming in.. my guess is that xp tablet edition does redraw differently, so it's killing the editor. the editor code is based on the jedit syntax package (syntax.jedit.org) which is a bit out of date, and that could be giving us trouble.  

ah, if only i had a tablet pc to test it on myself

Stephanie Grush
Email
Re: Editor: Doesn't display code properly on Table
« Reply #2 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 12:31am »

Thanks - I installed the latest java VM and downloaded 0067 Expert and the editor is working fine now. Memory usage looks normal too. So it was probably an incompatibiility between Tablet XP and an earlier VM.

steph

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »