FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Bugs
   Software Bugs
(Moderator: fry)
   compiling is sometimes *slow* (still with jikes)
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: compiling is sometimes *slow* (still with jikes)  (Read 349 times)
arielm

compiling is sometimes *slow* (still with jikes)
« on: Aug 9th, 2003, 3:50pm »

a very strange and annoying one, here from a while:

on windows (with a PIII/450 with enough RAM, after a fresh boot and without any other program running):

sometimes, compilation can take up to 30 seconds, and some other times, with the same source code, it only takes a few seconds!

it's not very easy to reproduce this issue, but i can distinguish the 2 following patterns:
1) compiling a sketch directly after a "save" is generally faster.
2) recompiling a sketch just after a compilation error has been detected and corrected is generally slower.

before 058, i thought it was related to the "exotic" compiler used (forgot its name) but with the introduction of jikes, the problem is still here!

i think jikes is also used by eclipse, and when compiling the same stuff there, it always takes the same time (never more than a few seconds).

finally, i have a similar problem when saving sketches (sometimes it takes 1 second, some other times, it can take a while, with the same source code).

(does it mean that processing is also compiling when saving files?)

it's like all this could not be directly related to the compiler used, but rather to all the extra processing that is done to the source code "just-before" or "just-after" compilation?..
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2003, 3:55pm by arielm »  

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
fry

Re: compiling is sometimes *slow* (still with jike
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13th, 2003, 9:23pm »

is it possible that you have virus checking software running?

this is a weird one.. i'm having a tough time thinking of possible causes. low memory could be one, or just the virus checker kicking in and trying to search through all of rt.jar in the jvm (this is what virusscan does on my machine). save should be super quick--it does almost nothing but spews lines of text to a file. so you're running into something whenever files are created (saving and compiling) but i can't think of many other clues. any thoughts?

arielm

« Reply #2 on: Aug 13th, 2003, 9:41pm »

i don't have any antivirus software installed on my machine actually...

and eventhough it's only an old PIII-450, i have 192M ram and i usually run proce55ing without any other apps running in the background...

the problems i described (both with compilation and with saving) are occuring in a quite random fashion, but yet frequently...

i hope it's only a problem on my machine, but i'm not sure: maybe it happens to others too but they don't consider it as a bug (afterall, it's still possible to work this way, just a matter of patience...)

or maybe i'm among the few (for now) that use to write 40K+ long sketches?

REAS

« Reply #3 on: Aug 14th, 2003, 1:50am »

have you tried clearing the history and then compiling?

arielm

« Reply #4 on: Aug 14th, 2003, 2:46am »

bingo!

when clearing (huge) history for problematic sketches, the problem seems to disapear...

fry

« Reply #5 on: Aug 14th, 2003, 5:07am »

heh.. history wasn't made for such large sketches.. will make a note to fix.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »