FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Bugs
   Software Bugs
(Moderator: fry)
   Network Error
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Network Error  (Read 399 times)
skloopy

Network Error
« on: Jun 8th, 2003, 5:58am »

When running a network server on OSX, if you close the sketch and then try to run it again it gives a network error and closes the server. Since there is no way to know when the user closes the sketch, is there a way to close the connection so that P5 can run a net sketch more than once?

on a side note, is it possible to netWrite just before a user closes an applet? It would be useful because otherwise how does the server know the user logged off?

also, I don't think that netEvent() works in server mode, which is pretty essential.
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2003, 6:48am by skloopy »  
fry

Re: Network Error
« Reply #1 on: Jun 8th, 2003, 5:32pm »

all noted. will look into 'em. the first two are common problems that we've already worked around for serial so it shouldn't be a big deal for net. the last one just sounds like a random bug.

fry

« Reply #2 on: Jul 31st, 2003, 4:02am »

ok, i think hernando and i have ironed these out for 57.

masarius

« Reply #3 on: Aug 7th, 2003, 3:06am »

I think I was having a similar problem trying to implement some network stuff.  Firstly I found that if I closed my server application (run from within the sketchbook) before calling endNet() then I wouldn't be able to start a server using the same instance of processing again, but if I called endNet() this was not an issue.

In response to calling code when the user closes the applet, I found that you can override the stop() method (which is inherited from the Applet class) like so:

public void stop(){
  // Code to be executed on exit goes here
}

the public is important otherwise you get an error about overriding with a more restrictive method.  Hope this is some help to somebody.

REAS

« Reply #4 on: Aug 7th, 2003, 3:14am »

this should be fixed in version 58 which was released yesterday. let us know if you're still having the same problem with this new release.

senior

89237688923768 WWW
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21st, 2003, 11:19pm »

If I have a have a client app that doesn't call endNet() before closing, it hangs processing, and I have to kill javaw.exe from the process list.

I tried putting endNet() in public void stop() as suggested, but it still hangs.

[using v.58 on WinXP java1.4.1]

madmerv
Email
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14th, 2003, 11:06pm »

that's a good question...!

fry

« Reply #7 on: Nov 23rd, 2003, 11:46pm »

yup, net is having a lotta trouble. i hope to get it repaired soon, or maybe its author (hernando) will have some time to look into it.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »