FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Bugs
   Software Bugs
(Moderator: fry)
   p5 memory usage
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: p5 memory usage  (Read 691 times)
benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
p5 memory usage
« on: Jan 24th, 2003, 2:46pm »

after ive been running p5 for a while, opening different sketches, etc, i seem to be regularly running out of memory. right now, p5 is using 48meg of RAM, and i dont have a sketch running. are u guys aware of this?

fry

Re: p5 memory usage
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24th, 2003, 3:01pm »

oh, that sucks.. i wasn't aware of that. what platform/os version are you running on?  

are other folks seeing the same thing?
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2003, 3:02pm by fry »  
benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24th, 2003, 3:21pm »

pentium4, with 256meg RAM, and win2k with the latest SR's.
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2003, 3:21pm by benelek »  
Glen Murphy

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24th, 2003, 11:15pm »

I got P5 up to 83mB of RAM the other day, but that was after a few hours of building things that had thousands of arrays (and they all kept crashing, running out of memory until I toned down the array sizes a little).

P3M, 512mB.

fry

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26th, 2003, 10:24pm »

hm, it's tough to say what to expect. java can be a total memory hog. although, if memory keeps creeping up in use even with nothing open, that sounds like a bug.  

i'll add it to the list.

pollux

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18th, 2003, 5:24am »

a week ago, i had a major HD crash just after closing P5. it gave me the feared blue screen with a top left message, something containing ERROR and MEMORY DUMPING. after that i culd not neither start my OS up, nor repair it, nor reinstall it, until i format the disk. it seems some of my boot clusters were damaged. now i have a funny partition D: wich won't even open and amounts to 0Kb in size. i have 128Mb Ram, with 384 on VM. DELL PC, WIN2000, P5 0051.

usually, P5 gets quite slow after a while working with it, and sometimes it stops for a moment, while my HD starts working heavily...

i can imagine it has anything to do with the software, or at least be a general problem, but wanted to publish it just in case.

could it be a general problem with the VM writing to the disk, or is it a P5 issue?

pollux | www.frwrd.net
benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18th, 2003, 12:49pm »

i just tried something in an attempt at speeding up P5, and i need some others to try it to see if i'm playing tricks with myself or not.

i moved all of my sketches (from the "default" folder in sketchbook) into a temp folder, and then started Processing. i then closed P5, moved the files back and restarted P5. it seems to me that P5 is now starting up much faster than before, but as i said - i may just be playing tricks with myself.

let me know if it does or doesn't have an effect.

-jacob

skloopy

« Reply #7 on: Mar 21st, 2003, 10:12am »

On OS9 Sometimes I have to quit Processing after an edit or it gives me an out of memory error. The sketch that i'm running is pretty intensive though, running calculations on a 360x1400 pixel image.

pollux

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: Apr 25th, 2003, 10:34pm »

has somebody found a workaround for the memory (over)stuffing? personally, i don't do heavy memory/processor intensive work, and sometimes P5 grabs up to 90Mb of memory out of my humble 128Mb + VM (though i usually play the same applet like a thousand times, for checking)

oh... hmm... i know... going to the store, buying more RAM... ..

pollux | www.frwrd.net
Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »