FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Suggestions
   Software Suggestions
(Moderator: fry)
   Line Numbers Should Appear In Editor Screen
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Line Numbers Should Appear In Editor Screen  (Read 433 times)
mm
Email
Line Numbers Should Appear In Editor Screen
« on: Jul 27th, 2004, 12:36am »

It is my opinion that line numbers should appear in the upper right or lower right of the editor, or should appear as a toggle-able preference

This helps when the editor reads "Java.lang.Null Pointer Excepition:3264:0:1, etc" which can be read from the java output even when it does an Export and fails to inform you of a line number, or if it fails to inform you of a line number without because the error fails to specify it.  This will greatly aid in editing source.

Also, as an experiment, I have written a proce55ing document that is 5000+ lines long, and have found that there is a great dysjunct in the time it takes a java applet to load locally versus remotely.  Sun has failed to correct their loading screen, and the bar sometimes runs far off the right hand side of the screen.  When timed from completion of download, this applet takes almost an infinite time longer to load, and is obviously not the fault of the file size (which is large, 700k with data files).

I am continuing to write this colossal applet, which might be viewable on broadband but is impossibly to manage on wireless. (See post in Responsive form, and games..)

-mm

mm
Email
Re: Line Numbers Should Appear In Editor Screen
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 12:39am »

Uh - to clarify - please put the current position information of the cursor in the editor screen somewhere (up/right)

narain

« Reply #2 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 4:59am »

Line numbers in the Processing editor may not help, actually. I think P5 does some preprocessing of the sketch code to turn it into valid Java, so the line numbers that Java reports will not correspond with the lines of the original PDE.

mm
Email
« Reply #3 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 6:37pm »

I bet it could be done.  Simply subtracting the number of lines added to the top of the PDE after converted to a .java file,

I see what you are saying, but I bet there is a work around.  Regardless, just for navigating large files, it would help to display the current line number, perhaps optionally as a toggle.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »