FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Suggestions
   Software Suggestions
(Moderator: fry)
   Launch External Editor
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Launch External Editor  (Read 2340 times)
Glen Murphy

WWW Email
Launch External Editor
« on: Jan 28th, 2003, 7:16am »

I'm not sure how well this would gel with the cross-platform nature of proce55ing, but it would be nice if the 'Use External Editor' link opened your external editor of choice, rather than forcing the user to navigate to the sketches manually in their editor.

fry

Re: Launch External Editor
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30th, 2003, 3:36am »

hm, good point.. i'll put it on the list.

which reminds me.. i've been meaning to ask people in general.. how many people use the external editor, or do you use one part time or exclusively? what editors are you using?

Glen Murphy

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30th, 2003, 4:30am »

I use UltraEdit if I'm going to be writing anything longer than 20 lines, or if I'm going to be spending more than 5 minutes fiddling.

It's my editor for almost everything. I love it.

Martin

122417302122417302martingomez_listsmg1ph WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31st, 2003, 1:33pm »

when i write something a little longer, i just code in java using jcreator then directly compile the stuff (copy the .class files from \lib). i guess i'll do this until the little text cursor bug gets fixed

tomek

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17th, 2003, 6:22pm »

CodeWright on Windows and... vi everywhere else. I think that ability to use and external editor is an important feature/option to have. I like the fact that there is a decent editor built into P5 and I use it by default, but it is also becoming obvious that some not so small programs will be built with P5 by more technically sophisticated users. And sophisticated users will like the option...

Now, two related suggestions:

1. The fact that P5 keeps the file open when it the external editor feature is activated collides with some of the other editors because they detect that it is in use. In addition the fact that P5 is not refreshing the other edits might be also confusing to some. My suggestion is to replace the file contents with the note that external editor is enabled and maybe a complete path to the file. This would make it clearer. The file would also stay closed except for compile/run cycle.

2. This is a bit of a dream feature, that does not deserve very high priority, but maybe one day... When using an external editor the P5 could shrink to a toolbar (plus menus) size. The user could just float it next to (on top) of the external editor to kick in run/present modes. OK, I know you guys have more important things to do...

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »