FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Suggestions
   Software Suggestions
(Moderator: fry)
   Sound
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 2 
   Author  Topic: Sound  (Read 1143 times)
Bert

Sound
« on: Aug 20th, 2002, 9:29pm »

It would be really great if you could work with sound in P5. I would like to see an environment where you can generate and modify sound through manipulating some simple parameters such as frequency, amplitude, and so on (vs. the usual playback of .wavs or .mp3s).

Any thoughts?

www.rekalldesign.com
fry

Re: Sound
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21st, 2002, 11:06pm »

sound support is planned.. it's important, so hopefully it'll make it into 1.0 final (or even the beta). the general plan is to provide for:
- playback of mp3 and wav
- playback of arbitrary sound buffers
- some basic synthesis support (like you describe)

final decisions on implementation haven't been made yet.. java 1.3 (which is used for the PDE on win/osx/linux) includes support for audio in/out which would be great. java 1.1, the default in most browsers (without sun's bizarre runtime download for windows) and the only thing available on macos9, has very limited audio support..

as a result, there isn't a clear 'best' way to do things. probably for exported applets in web pages and macos9 sound will be fairly crippled and basic. but under osx/linux/win and running from the p5 environment, we'll have full sound in/out.

even sooner that all that, once 'java' mode is working in the pde, you'll be able to just import javax.sound.whatever and use the jdk stuff w/ no problem.

Dimitre

« Reply #2 on: Nov 7th, 2002, 2:53pm »

In java applet there is a hidden library called sun.audio. I used it in some experiments, but it is not web standard and allows only 8000khz sounds, but still very cool.

I have some sound applets at http://dmtr.org/experimental/sound_synthesis/
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2005, 4:35am by Dimitre »  
fry

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21st, 2002, 2:21am »

the new release (46) imports the javax.sound packages, so while running in the environment, you can use audio. this is disabled for exporting to applet (sorry, not enough people use the java plugin, but exporting a 1.3 applet will be an option in the future).

we'd like to have a simple way to do the sun.audio thing in a future release. i looked at it for 46, but didn't have the time to deal with it.

Dimitre

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21st, 2002, 4:25pm »

sun.audio is a great unreferenced feature on java.
it works uLaw format sound, and allows you to create sound "on the fly" with ContinuousAudioDataStream object.

Here is a good example of fourier synthesis
http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/java/sound/sound.html

I think it is a non-official feature of java because of the bugs, and platforms. In PC, it works very well and fast, but if you didn´t stop the sound before close window, the sound will play, until you close all Internet Explorer windows.

REAS

« Reply #5 on: Nov 25th, 2002, 6:01pm »

here is a good sound link that ben posted elsewhere on the site:
http://javaalmanac.com/egs/javax.sound.sampled/pkg.html

Gabriel Suchowolski
Email
« Reply #6 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 5:49pm »

A kind of old 4 channel amiga mods could be good also. Don't you think so?

Thaanks for proce55ing is the best I found this year in the net.

Cheers
Gabriel Suchowolski
www.microbians.com
www.chromeless.org
www.domestika.org

fsk

« Reply #7 on: Feb 8th, 2003, 10:14am »

Is there any chance you could make Proce55ing listen to sound that is being played on the computer and return osciloscope data or something similar. Im not a programer so I realy have no clue of what can and can't be done in java. I started to write code for a winamp plugin called AVS, and it's real fun to make visuals that react to sound in real time. + there just isnt anythig like that out there

fry

« Reply #8 on: Feb 9th, 2003, 4:59pm »

using the javax.sound stuff you can do this from within the environment, but it won't work inside an applet. see the almanac examples that casey linked above.

fsk

« Reply #9 on: Feb 12th, 2003, 3:08pm »

OK, before I jump to the celing with happines, I'll ask it a bit diferently. Can processing "listen" to  what Media player is playing? If the anwser is yes again, then its simply the best program I know of .

thank you again for your anwser  

p.s. doesnt matter, if it doesnt work on the web.
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2003, 3:11pm by fsk »  
Email
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12th, 2003, 5:59pm »

I think that idea of an 4 channel tracker system is great(like old .mod files). Think of combinig single tracker with objects, with the possibility to modify parameters like tempo, pitch etc. on each object (each tracker).

Dimitre

« Reply #11 on: Mar 11th, 2003, 9:46pm »

I love .mod sound format. The size of the files are light, the timbres are independent of user hardware, and I dont know why it still isnt used on web today.
I wrote to macromedia flash wishlist before flashMX asking for it, hehehe.

here there is a simple tracking using sun.audio library.
http://www.go2net.com/internet/deep/1997/02/19/body.html

but... maybe 8khz and MOD format could be a little too much "looking backward"
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2003, 9:32pm by Dimitre »  
Allen

« Reply #12 on: Apr 17th, 2003, 12:30am »

I would really love to see synthesis added to Processing. I have been looking at csound and super collider quite a bit and it would seem like the logical next step to add that kind of sound support into Processing.

fry

« Reply #13 on: May 1st, 2003, 5:00am »

the very first release of sound support will be arriving in revision 55, which will hopefully be out sometime in the next week or two.

Martin

122417302122417302martingomez_listsmg1ph WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 2nd, 2003, 1:57am »

hi fry, quick question. will sound be java 1.1 or java 2? if the latter, how does this affect p5's export-to-java-1.1-only restriction?

Pages: 1 2 

« Previous topic | Next topic »