FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Programming Questions & Help
   Integration
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   graphics speed : processing vs java vs director?
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: graphics speed : processing vs java vs director?  (Read 571 times)
James

graphics speed : processing vs java vs director?
« on: Jan 17th, 2005, 4:04pm »

hi all,

Does anyone have an idea about the comparitive graphics processing speeds of java, processing and director?

More specifically what I'm interested in mostly are imaging functions, ie,  copying a very small image(3x3 pixels) into another(or to the stage) possibly thousands of times per second. In my tests the speed of the director copypixels function has proven to be quite a bit faster than java's graphics2D drawimage, but then i'm new to java and my coding is probably therefore less than optimal, i've also not had time yet to port my java code to processing to see how it compares.

any knowledge/experience you have to share on this would be a great help.

cheers,

james

toxi

Re: graphics speed : processing vs java vs directo
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17th, 2005, 5:23pm »

i actually did a speed comparision once when i was writing on the P5 imaging functions (blend() + replicate()). even though these results are not 100% representative they give you a fair idea what can be done with processing using a lot of bitmaps... i don't know how this all compares to java2D as i've never touched the stuff

http://toxi.co.uk/p5/copypixels/

this is a demo of the replicate() function which is the equivalent to director's copypixels() function. both processing and director source files are available.

for me personally, these days the only justification i have left to use director is when working with 3D or on projects which require flash assets and/or can't be done in java for commercial reasons...

http://toxi.co.uk/
James

Re: graphics speed : processing vs java vs directo
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 12:18pm »

thanks very much toxi.

that's exactly the kind of test i hoped you may have already done! and just the kind of evidence I was looking for. excellent!

james

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »