FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Programming Questions & Help
   Integration
(Moderators: fry, REAS)
   CORBA and P5
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: CORBA and P5  (Read 469 times)
Jerronimo

CORBA and P5
« on: Dec 16th, 2004, 3:49am »

Hey all.  Just thought I'd mention a project I'm working on.

At work, we've got a software sytem integrating a few IR cameras and a GPS, to be flown in a small aircraft.  The idea is that it looks down, and detects forest fires (and forest fire growth) and gives the position data as either a map or coordinates to the Forestry Service, so that they can manage their personnel and fight the fire more efficiently.

In any event, the camera servers and gps servers publish their information (in our system) to other software modules which process the data.  Most of the modules are written in C and C++, but the GUI was written in Java/Swing by yours truly.  It connects up to the camera servers and the output from some of the processing modules, and displays the images for the operator.

Anyway, earlier today, after one of our demos, I got bored and coded up some glue logic so that I can connect to our cameras in Processing.  The resulting code totally hides all of the CORBA connection stuff, and simplifies it all.

There were some caveats, like the class I wanted to use in the P5 sketch couldn't inherit from the Corba-generated classes, and that I couldn't access a int[] in the corba-generated class from the sketch directly... it was odd...  

anyway... i have it working now, and the sketch brings up a window, connects to a camera, and when images are generated, it displays them and fades them to a random color. (it's P5... i couldn't just display the images.. that's boring... heh)

The next thing i'm going to do is have a P5 sketch that publishes itself in our system as a "camera", and have it grab frames from my video camera and sends those out. heh.

Jerronimo

Re: CORBA and P5
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 6:44am »

I now also have a server that watches my firewire camera, and sends out images to all subscribed clients when you click in the window.  

Whee!

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »