FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Sound
(Moderators: pitaru, REAS)
   Playthrough
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Playthrough  (Read 1702 times)
guthrie

Playthrough
« on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 9:52am »

I am trying to make Sonia play the LiveInput from a microphone live... i.e. I talk into the mic and my voice comes out of the speakers at the exact same time.

Has anyone done this before and would like to share? It seems super-simple, but currently, I'm baffled...

I've tried a few bizarre things with LiveOutput/liveOutputEvent() (putting the spectrum[] array into LiveOutput.data array... also, putting snippets from a live recording sample into the LiveOutput.data), but I'm not having any luck, just a bunch of noise. I imagine that there must be some obvious, elegant solution that I am overlooking?

thanks,
guthrie
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2004, 9:53am by guthrie »  
pitaru

WWW Email
Re: Playthrough
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 2:51pm »

on pc - if you just want to hear the microphone input in your speakers, you can do so regardless of sonia using the 'Volume Control' - . This will also provide the smallest latency. You can do so by choosing 'advanced' form the menu, switch to 'recording', click OK, and just choosing the microhpone as a recording source. I would imagine that the Mac can also play back the microphone input through the 'system' setting panel.

On the other hand if you want Sonia to process the microphone input and then output it, you'll end up with some latency, depending on your mahcine and the processing program you write.

amit

guthrie

Re: Playthrough
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 8:50pm »

I'm not really concerned with how cruddy the latency gets, I'm just searching for any way at all of controlling the input's playthrough via my code, and thought maybe I was overlooking something in the Sonia reference...

Maybe I should get back to work on it rather than begging for other peoples' code! ;]

Thanks for the control panel idea... I had to download a 3rd party freeware application to make the Line In play through the speakers on my Mac...even though this really seems like a basic feature that should be built into the OS (silly Apple)!

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »