FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Sound
(Moderators: pitaru, REAS)
   Beat Detection Alogrithm via Sonia&Processing
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Beat Detection Alogrithm via Sonia&Processing  (Read 2244 times)
superchango

144970356144970356 WWW Email
Beat Detection Alogrithm via Sonia&Processing
« on: Feb 18th, 2004, 5:01pm »

Hi there,

I am working on a audiovisual project in processing. For that i need to detect the beat of incoming sound.
I know there are beat detection algorithms (for example: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/beatdetection/ by Frederic Patin) and I tried to understand them again and again, and i probably did so far.  

My Question: is there anybody who transformed an algorithm like that into processing language by using SONIA to get the FFT samples

Pleas help
David

toxi_
Email
Re: Beat Detection Alogrithm via Sonia&Processing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18th, 2004, 7:47pm »

hi, i've done a very simple cheating solution, which is only similar in princple to the above algorithm and its use of a derivation filter. i've had medium 'til very good results with it in the past and my director projects. but i've not been using any FFT data at all.

my approach was to compute the average level of the current input buffer every frame and compare the value to the one of the previous frame. if the difference is over a certain threshold, i triggered a beat event and store a timestamp. to avoid the system to become over-sensitive the event is only triggered after a specified minimum amount of time since the last beat. the main problem is that the behaviour depends from all those factors which need to be carefully calibrated:

- the system's audio input gain
- the threshold used
- the minimum time between beats

some more pointers:

soni(a)c air
director examples

hth! toxi.

superchango

144970356144970356 WWW Email
Re: Beat Detection Alogrithm via Sonia&Processing
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20th, 2004, 8:26pm »

Thanx sof far toxi.

I'll try to make a program like you said and will see how it'll work for my claims...
But I would really like to work freqency based with FFT data to detect a beat. If there is anybody who has experiences with that, please contact me.

David

@pitaru: Thanks for SONIA, great great great!

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »