FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Simulation, Artificial Life
(Moderator: REAS)
   particle dust
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: particle dust  (Read 773 times)
Charles Hinshaw
Email
particle dust
« on: Jan 29th, 2004, 1:42am »

This is my first stab at Processing -- an example with code is available at the following link:

http://proce55ing.everydayrevolution.com/

Despite how it appears, it is not simply applying brownian motion to a loaded image - it loads the image and uses it to create a density array that is then populated by particles. The brownian motion is simply showing that each particle can be influenced individually (in this case, by jiggling its x and y locations).

The overall goal of this project is to create a tool for building Quicktime transitions between two still images. The first image will be a source for particles, that will then move about and settle into a final image.

Brownian motion isn't very interesting to look at -- when I am better at Processing, I would like to do something similar to Glen Murphy's fluid and smoke examples (with random events controlling the visual distortion, rather than mouse input.) Being new to this, I am obviously not there.

Anyway, if anybody want to play around with this sketch, or to demonstrate to me something cool that can be done by improving upon and modifying the particle class, I am all eyes.

Cheers!

Charles Hinshaw
direction + repertoire
[r]evolve, US

http://www.everydayrevolution.com/

arielm

Re: particle dust
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29th, 2004, 10:40am »

reminds me of things that can be done using Cellular Automata,

e.g. this CA model named sublime

physical-simulation oriented CAs, for example the FHP Lattice Gas Model can also be very helpful...
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2004, 10:40am by arielm »  

Ariel Malka | www.chronotext.org
Glen Murphy

WWW Email
Re: particle dust
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29th, 2004, 1:27pm »

Hey that's neat.

We've done similar things for doing transitions, except we just had the B/W generated image sequence acting as a mask. Worked out quite well if done really fast.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »