FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Simulation, Artificial Life
(Moderator: REAS)
   Bug Talk
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Bug Talk  (Read 595 times)
Mike Davis

Bug Talk
« on: Nov 10th, 2003, 6:03am »

Bug Talk
http://www.lightcycle.org/workspace/bugtalk/index.html

Bugs jet around blindly looking for food.  Whenever a bug finds food, it transmits its location to a few other bugs who are then attracted to its position.  Overall, this leads to swarming behavior.

After I clean up the code, I'd like to make this a platform for sketches that investigate how agents can prosper by communication with others rather than sensing the environment.

benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
Re: Bug Talk
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 7:44am »

is it just me, or do the bugs seem to be dying off after a while in this sketch...?

Mike Davis

« Reply #2 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 10:16pm »

You're right, they are.  I can't track it down.  The population is implemented as an array of objects, and in loop() I run through the array to update and draw each object.  I've checked that: I'm always running though the whole population; object references aren't getting copied, removed, or becoming invalid; and bugs aren't overlapping and following the same physics, appearing to be a single bug.  Out of ideas and free time; I'm hoping that once I start trimming the code down I'll figure it out.

flight404

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 12:06am »

So, what you are telling us is that you have a bug, no?  

Mike Davis

« Reply #4 on: Nov 13th, 2003, 2:45am »

I've uodated with a fixed version.  I was dividing by zero in some cases ... being primarily a C++ programmer, I had expected such an operation to halt the program rather than just make the containing object unusable.

vent

« Reply #5 on: Nov 13th, 2003, 3:28pm »

I just stared at this for about 5 minutes straight. Its quite hypnotizing. Nice work.

http://www.shapevent.com/
Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »