FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Simulation, Artificial Life
(Moderator: REAS)
   cells (bugs, ants and the like)
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: cells (bugs, ants and the like)  (Read 1524 times)
pollux

WWW Email
cells (bugs, ants and the like)
« on: Mar 7th, 2003, 10:22pm »

well, i just started with processing a couple of weeks ago, and from my first project, you can notice i was not too much used to java programming. but since i was kind of playing around at the same time with actionscript (wich, amusingly, is quite similar.. hehe), well, i got a grip..  

now i am stuck on one project... there is something that does not work as i want it, but i'm too tired to figure it out. any help shall be appreciated. the problem is on <cell4>. it has a weird behavior when the cell goes out of the stage, it reappears on the other side... and it screws the barslund repulsion... ok, if you have two secs, please get me out of my misery!  

http://www.00forward.com/processing/cells4/

later,
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2003, 10:34pm by pollux »  

pollux | www.frwrd.net
pollux

WWW Email
Re: cells (bugs, ants and the like)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 8th, 2003, 3:04am »

this is going to become a personal blog, i think...

so i almost solved the thingie i had. it was not on the moving code, but in the sprite pixel method. i kinda fix it, but now it gives me a funky cell sprite every once in ten whiles.

now i wanted to make it behave like it was in real water, sort of like my prelast experiment:

http://www.00forward.com/processing/cells3/

but while they continue moving around towards their previous goal.

quoting ferrys bueller's professor: "anyone knows?"
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2003, 10:33pm by pollux »  

pollux | www.frwrd.net
benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: Mar 9th, 2003, 12:58am »

mm, one of the most convincing properties of water is how quick it is to splash about, rebound, cause after-effects and twirls, and fill a void after u pull ur hand out of the water.

i havent gone thru ur code, so excude me if im wrong - but it looks like the "particles" are just moving back to where they were before? there doesnt seem to be any residue of the movement caused by dragging the mouse.

-bnlk

pollux

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10th, 2003, 10:33pm »

yes, you're right. maybe i explaint it wrong. since i am very much a neofit on physics and the likes, it is not actually water. it is more like the oily substance you put on little glass pieces when you want to see things on the microscope. so suppose the density is high valued. anyway, if you see it now, it works a little better.

now i'm trying to add behaviours on them (get them hungry, active, or crazy).  

at the end, i am just playing with the program. if you go through the code, you won't find much of termodynamics or fluid behaviour formulas, just my code interpretation of such. any input on how to modify them to actually approximate to real formulas may be warmly welcome.

i also have another one on artificial life, this time pseudo-ants:

http://www.00forward.com/processing/cells2/

it shows i'm quite interested in self-behavioural systems. maybe i'll start with bees or worms in the next one...
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2003, 11:41pm by pollux »  

pollux | www.frwrd.net
pollux

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10th, 2003, 11:41pm »

well, now it is not as a fluid, but i don't know what it is. now if you click on the applet, it just repulses the cells... but it behaves nicely.

i think i'll get a book on physics.

pollux | www.frwrd.net
benelek

35160983516098 WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11th, 2003, 12:34am »

mm, it's a little hard to see the difference between "kill" mode and "feed" mode.

i used to do my work in black and white too, before i realised that colour can be used as another varying "influence" on the behaviors of the objects. plus, using a more involved/adaptive colour pallet can make the effects more intuitive for the viewer

-bnlk

pollux

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11th, 2003, 6:35am »

try setting the food, then switching to kill mode, and hitting them all while eating... you'll suddenly get the difference! and you'll know where the hive (the ant's home) is...

(digital animal cruelty, i wonder if there is an association against it)
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2003, 6:36am by pollux »  

pollux | www.frwrd.net
Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »