FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Information Visualization
(Moderators: forkinsocket, REAS)
   pop sketch series
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: pop sketch series  (Read 1404 times)
jake

pop sketch series
« on: Apr 5th, 2005, 5:04am »

hello pfolk,

http://structuredsound.net/popsketchseries/

this is my first publicly released proce55ing piece.  the code is probably a bit sketchy and i had to use a python script for midifile parsing (i'd like to try to do that within proce55ing too, but i haven't worked it out yet and i already had the python script kicking around from another project).

here's a short description:

""
this is a series of drawings generated from pop songs.  the songs are analyzed note-by-note.  at each note, a line is drawn.  the angle at which the line is drawn is determined by the pitch of the note and the length of the line is determined by the volume of the note. the result is a series of playful, doodle-like, linear drawings.

pop music is engineered by professional adults for consumption by teenagers. the content of nearly all of these songs is an assertion of sexual maturity, and they are being marketed to a group dealing with that issue, but simultaneously with serious issues of loss as they conclude pre-adolescence (or childhood). i like to frame this series as a reinterpretation of the pop music media set that addresses the latter issue and discards the former, to create a more balanced product for this target market.
""

right now, i'm having great luck exporting these as vector graphics with aiexport and making nice big graphics for  printing.

best,
jake

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »