FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Information Visualization
(Moderators: forkinsocket, REAS)
   point-cloud
« No topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: point-cloud  (Read 3484 times)
mnagis

point-cloud
« on: Dec 15th, 2004, 10:23pm »

let me first introduce myself.  my name is mark nagis and i am a thesis student at the southern california institute of architecture in dowtown los angeles.  i have been a fly on the wall of this webpage for about a year now, and i must say i love the work you all are doing.  as soon as i finish my thesis i plan on devoting a good amount of time to really immerse myself in processing, but for now, my scripting knowledge is going to be limited to actionscript and MEL (alias maya scripting language).  

now to the question at hand:
there is moment in my project where i cut a series (500 or so) of sections in a complex 3d maya model.  those sections are then translated into a series of points.  Thus generating a pseudo point-cloud.  from that point-cloud i can begin to extract certain information that normally would be hidden in the surfure (ie torsional properties, rupture, chord lengths...).  anyway, i would like to model that point cloud in an immersive processing environment.  i can output all 500 of those points (x,y and z positions) to either an excel or text file.

question one:  how do i import those values and translate them into points in space while assigning color values and the like.

question two:  orbitting around the object (or, at the least, have the object rotate at a constant rate).

sorry for the length of this message, but i wanted to try and make it as clear as possible.  thanks in advance for your time.  i can send anyone more information either about the thesis itself, or about this specific question.  thanks.

mark

isaaceun

Re: point-cloud
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 8:56am »

hey, mark. this is isaac from your undergrad. u still in LA? let's get together sometime.  

i've been working in Seoul for a while and came back to go to grad school in LA.  

JohnG

Re: point-cloud
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16th, 2005, 4:46pm »

loading the file shouldn't be too bad if you can export it as plain text.
a simple comma seperated list of x/y/z, one per line shoudl be easy to interpret:
Code:

String[] lines;
void setup()
{
  lines=loadStrings("mydata.txt");
  for(int i=0;i<lines.length;i++)
  {
    int[] vals=splitInts(lines[i],',');
    //int[0] should be the x co-ord, int[1]=y and  
    //int[2]=z
    //it's up to you to decide what you do with these  
    //values at this point.
  }
}

As for making them rotate, that's also fairly simple:
Code:

float ang=0;
void loop()
{
  ang+=0.01;
  push();
  translate(width/2,height/2,0);  
  // makes 0,0,0 middle of screen, instead of top-left
  rotateY(ang);
  // insert code to draw all your points here...
  pop();
}

Pages: 1 

« No topic | Next topic »