FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Information Visualization
(Moderators: forkinsocket, REAS)
   Mira/Gumowski animator
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Mira/Gumowski animator  (Read 2282 times)
MReNA

WWW Email
Mira/Gumowski animator
« on: Jun 14th, 2004, 2:53pm »

This is a realtime interactive browser for the Mira/Guowski function.  

It is the interface I dreamed of when I first investigated this formula end of the 80's.  

Not only are the shapes created by this formula amazing, I found out that following the transitions from one shape into an other is fascinating. Somtimes tiny shifts in parameter create big differences. I had to make an interface that could browse fast to the interesting spots, but could make tiny precise movements in those places. Use the autopilot function once you found an interesing development.  

There is a lot going on in this window, for me it works like a kind of madala.  

http://members.chello.nl/m.vander.haagen/applets/mira.html

marcello

WWW Email
Re: Mira/Gumowski animator
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17th, 2004, 12:59pm »

The recursive structure of M/G’s formula reminds me a lot the formula that gives the Mandelbrot’s set. Nevertheless the images that M/G’s formula creates don’t seem to have a fractal structure. But I could get wrong

Anyway I like very much your applet. Why don’t you add it to exhibition?
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2004, 1:00pm by marcello »  
Markavian

Markavian+iTX WWW
« Reply #2 on: Jun 19th, 2004, 10:30pm »

I like it too, some facinating shapes there. Its best when you get long extruding arms, a bit like solar flares. The mid-range shapes are really interesting too.. amazing what you can make with a bit of Maths.

amoeba

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18th, 2004, 11:19pm »

Hmm, reminds me of a genetic algorithm I once saw for evolving strange attractor functions. Can't remember if it was the one in Symmetry in Chaos or somewhere else.  

What's interesting about this function is that it hardly ever seems to break down, i.e. collapse into a stable state or explode out of  reasonable bounds. The ones in the "Symmetry..." book have very specific areas of interest, so you can't easily animate parameters.

The definitive fractal/strange attractor thing I ever saw was some Italian (I forge the name) who had written a completely general genetic algorithm that could simulate classic fractals (Mandelbrots etc) as well as all kinds of mathematical functions. It was like a small state machine of mathematical functions, so that the genotype would define a function expression with an arbitrary number of evaluations. This was early 90s, and following up on Karl Sims' work with pattern generators.

marius watz // amoeba
http://processing.unlekker.net/
flight404

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22nd, 2004, 12:39am »

Up until your post, MReNA, I hadn't heard of the Mira/Gumowski function.  It was so puzzling to me, I just had to take a stab at it.  I modified your mira browser to give a little more control.  You can now control the number of iterations, seed points, zoom, and pan.  There are also a couple greyscale color sets.

http://www.flight404.com/p5/miraBrowser

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »