FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Topics & Contributions
   Information Visualization
(Moderators: forkinsocket, REAS)
   l[inguistic] system
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: l[inguistic] system  (Read 1101 times)
_cory

l[inguistic] system
« on: Mar 6th, 2003, 5:44pm »

This is the beginnings of a system for visualizing syntactic structures via the morphology of Lindemayer Systems (L-Systems). The applet takes key board input (haven't finished making file i/o work), allowing the user to type in a story or text. The software attempts to visualize its structure as it unfolds as a series of branches and forks. There is a slightly better description on the page - and the source. It requires at least a 1024x768 screen.

http://www.nthdimensional.com/lsystem3/

This is just an initial structure that I'm hoping to use as a basis of development for research linking shape-grammars (such as the L-system) with syntactic structures. The actual 'rules' for the morphology in this example are just standing in for a more complex set of rules that I'm working on based on Noam Chomsky's writings in 'Syntactic Structures'.  

Any comments on interface, behaviors, code, etc. would be much appreciated. Also, I just took a look and this version seems to lock up when used on the PC - if anyone knows why, do tell.

Martin

122417302122417302martingomez_listsmg1ph WWW Email
Re: l[inguistic] system
« Reply #1 on: Mar 6th, 2003, 6:59pm »

hi, i'm using a pc and it's behaving good (applet on web browser from your url). i was wondering, perhaps it would be nice if it also draws around the space inside the cube and not only on the plane that connects an edge of the cube to its opposite edge this article by pitaru bears much yummy info on how to do this...

_cory

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13th, 2003, 4:38pm »

Martin-

As for the 3D versus 2D - the system does grow out of the plane and develops fully in 3 dimensions and the box is used to contain the growth. However, since it grows based on the linguistic structure of whatever you type, if you type in gibberish or something with no narrative structure it just generates a simple straight path - the more involved your syntax and narrative gets the more the path actually begins to shape and branch in 3 dimensions.

Martin

122417302122417302martingomez_listsmg1ph WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13th, 2003, 6:10pm »

AMAZING! ...

mad merv
Email
« Reply #4 on: Feb 1st, 2004, 7:27pm »

I'M SORT OF CONFUSED AS TO WHAT THE SYMBOLS MEAN; AND ALSO I KEEP GETTING CAUGHT IN LITTLE "ROUND" LOOPS.. WHY IS THIS?

kevinP

Email
« Reply #5 on: Feb 1st, 2004, 10:25pm »

Hi,

Using the Konqueror browser, I could not see the most recent characters I had typed, so I felt as if I was typing blindly and likely making numerous mistakes.

-K

Kevin Pfeiffer
mm
Email
« Reply #6 on: Feb 5th, 2004, 7:29am »

good start needs further exploration. imho

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »