FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Discussion
   Community, Collaboration, Status
(Moderator: REAS)
   Status 2 December 04
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: Status 2 December 04  (Read 2234 times)
REAS

Status 2 December 04
« on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 8:57pm »

As mentioned on 29 September, we're making new releases of Processing available only to a small group of beta testers. We feel this group is as large as can be managed and we are very grateful for the enthusiasm surrounding the testing.

Why did we change the release model? The new versions of Processing are getting much closer to the original vision of 1.0 and the syntax of the language and structure of the environment has changed. We would release the code now, but it's going to continue to change for a time and we don't want to release the rapidly changing software to our (now) large groups of users who expect reliability. The next public release will be the _BETA_ release.

Please trust that we are working hard to release better software. We are currently working on Processing 73. I'm now finishing up a class at UCLA were version 71 was used: http://classes.design.ucla.edu/Fall04/28/

We are presently re-working the graphics engine to enable OpenGL acceleration using JOGL, we are standardizing the method for writing libraries, and we're adding documentation and functions for more control of camera and lights. The editor now allows for multiple tabs (files) to help organize code and easier re-use classes and functions.

A team as been assembled enhance this website. It will be completely dynamic with PHP and MySQL. This forum will be integrated into the site and there will be more possibilities for community contributions.  

That's a quick summary. There are pages and pages of details, but that's all for now.

homesick_alien

Re: Status 2 December 04
« Reply #1 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 1:07pm »

So we should prepare ourselves for great changes huh? nice!

Just wondering, is there some kind of time schedule for all these things?

fry

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12th, 2005, 1:51am »

unfortunately it's very difficult (impossible, i s'pose) for us to provide a timeline. on the coding side of things, it happens whenever i have a chance to work on it (with contributions from others whenever they have time to work on a specific thing, i.e. toxi with images), which is often several days in a row interrupted by several more days where i can't work on it at all. so one day it'll look like it's right around the corner, then i get interrupted by my "real" work or that sort of thing. we're trying

Vair

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19th, 2005, 3:05am »

Sounds great. I can't wait to get my hands on the next release.

ssdesign

« Reply #4 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 7:50pm »

Hi Reas,
I heard Processing version 74 is also being tested. I am very interested to try the Particle system library.

Any idea if I can get my hand on this version ?

thanks
sajid
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2005, 7:53pm by ssdesign »  

:: form follows function ::
Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »