FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Bugs
   Bug Fixes, Implemented Suggestions
(Moderator: fry)
   set "examples" dir to read only
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: set "examples" dir to read only  (Read 532 times)
kevinP

Email
set "examples" dir to read only
« on: Jan 26th, 2004, 9:39pm »

I noticed that while experimenting it's easy to overwrite the lovely demo sketches in the examples folder. This is partly due to the unusual change name behavior (I expected that a changed sketch name would be saved into a new file and not overwrite the original).

What I just did to avoid this accidental problem is to chmod (u-w) all the files and directories in directory "examples" so that I only have read-only permission.

Maybe this could be the default setting?

-K

0067 Alpha, Linux

Kevin Pfeiffer
fry

Re: set "examples" dir to read only
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27th, 2004, 3:27am »

yup, this has been planned for 68, in fact it's what i'm in the middle of implementing. as you'll notice, you'll just get an error if you try to save over the sketch.

unfortunately i have a feeling the chmod may not be stored in zip files, so it's not a solution for windows (thoguh it'll mostly work for osx).  

in 68, the examples will be just in the base folder of processing, and be considered a special/uneditable folder.. so when you try to make changes, it'll ask you to make a copy of the sketch in your own sketchbook [which has a new location in rev 68].
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2004, 3:30am by fry »  
fry

« Reply #2 on: Feb 3rd, 2004, 12:22am »

we've decided to add another release before what was supposed to be 68, so this change won't yet be in the release called '68' that's about to appear.

fry

« Reply #3 on: Jun 21st, 2004, 7:05pm »

now implemented for megabucket.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »