FAQ
Cover
This is the archive Discourse for the Processing (ALPHA) software.
Please visit the new Processing forum for current information.

Processing 1.0 _ALPHA_
   Bugs
   Bug Fixes, Implemented Suggestions
(Moderator: fry)
   netscape/javascript w/ 1.4.1 os x weirdness
« Previous topic | Next topic »

Pages: 1 
   Author  Topic: netscape/javascript w/ 1.4.1 os x weirdness  (Read 625 times)
sspboyd

netscape/javascript w/ 1.4.1 os x weirdness
« on: Jun 24th, 2004, 1:52am »

When I alter the MRJApp.properties to use 1.4.1, I get the error msg I have seen other people mention. The full text of the error msg is copied to the bottom of this posting.  

The basics of it are:
Code:
Semantic Error: You need to modify your classpath, sourcepath, bootclasspath, and/or extdirs setup. Package "netscape/javascript" could not be found in: ......

I am guessing this is similar to the problem identified in this post:
http://processing.org/discourse/yabb/board_Proce55ing_software__bugs_action_display_num_1076679293_start_15.html

I've checked and there is a netscape folder in my lib.  

My set up is  
os x 10.3.4
p5 v69

Everything works fine when I use 1.3.1 but goofs when I change to com.apple.mrj.application.JVMVersion=1.4.1

Any suggestions

steve

Error message from the Console app (b/c I can't copy from the output area on macs)
Code:
lib/build/Temporary_4663_7744.java:1:200:1:218: Semantic Error: You need to modify your classpath, sourcepath, bootclasspath, and/or extdirs setup. Package "netscape/javascript" could not be found in:        
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/class es.jar      
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/class es.jar
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/ui.ja r      
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/ui.ja r
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/laf.j ar
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/laf.j ar
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/sunrs asign.jar
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/sunrs asign.jar
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/jsse. jar
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/jsse. jar
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/jce.j ar
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/jce.j ar
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/chars ets.jar
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Classes/chars ets.jar
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaApplicationLauncher.framework/Reso urces/LauncherSupport.jar      /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaApplicationLauncher.framework/Reso urces/LauncherSupport.jar
/System/Library/Java/Extensions
/System/Library/Java/Extensions
/System/Library/Java/Extensions/MRJToolkit.jar
/System/Library/Java/Extensions/MRJToolkit.jar
/System/Library/Java/Extensions/QTJava.zip
/System/Library/Java/Extensions/QTJava.zip
      lib/build      lib/build
      /Applications/Processing 69/Proce69ing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/build      /Applications/Processing 69/Proce69ing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/build
      /Applications/Processing 69/Proce69ing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/pde.jar      /Applications/Processing 69/Proce69ing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/pde.jar
      /Applications/Processing 69/Proce69ing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/kjc.jar      /Applications/Processing 69/Proce69ing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/kjc.jar
      /Applications/Processing 69/Proce69ing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/antlr.jar      /Applications/Processing 69/Proce69ing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/antlr.jar
      /Applications/Processing 69/Proce69ing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/oro.jar      /Applications/Processing 69/Proce69ing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/oro.jar
      /Applications/Processing 69/Proce69ing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/RXTXcomm.jar      /Applications/Processing 69/Proce69ing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/RXTXcomm.jar
      .      .

gmail.com w/ sspboyd username
mohn

WWW Email
Re: netscape/javascript w/ 1.4.1 os x weirdness
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25th, 2004, 3:01pm »

on Jun 24th, 2004, 1:52am, venner wrote:
When I alter the MRJApp.properties to use 1.4.1, I get the error msg I have seen other people mention. The full text of the error msg is copied to the bottom of this posting.

venner -

confirmed on 10.3.4 v68 and v69 with java 1.4.2

you are actually trying to use 1.4.2 which was release 2/5/2004 (after rev6. 68 and 69 are both broken with java 1.4.2. if you jump back to 1.3.1 all works fine.  

also the MRJapp line should read 1.3+ not 1.4.1 or any variation of that. but regardless... my guess is that ben has not gotten around to adjusting the build for java 1.4.2 and 69 was a "use at your own risk" download in any case. you could also roll back to 1.4.1 and all would probably work fine for 1.3+

i'm pretty sure ben will get his eyes on this eventually and hopefully it can be fixed for megabucket.

mohn

fry

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25th, 2004, 4:55pm »

yeah, so sun changed how netscape.javascript was included in 1.3 versus 1.4, so that breaks things a bit. for some reason though, processing isn't properly using its lib/ folder to get the nscp classes.  

maybe try putting a copy of the netscape.javascript classes inside:  
/Applications/Processing 69/Proce69ing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/build
that might get things rolling as a workaround for the time being.

starting with megabucket we'll probably default to 1.4, so this will need to be fixed.

fry

« Reply #3 on: Sep 26th, 2004, 9:24pm »

fixed for megabucket.

Pages: 1 

« Previous topic | Next topic »